We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

We're thinking of taking one of the boat trips out to Blakeney Point in September and found three companies offering these boat trips.

Bean's Boats

Temples Seal Trips

Bishop's Boats

They all seem to be pretty similar in what they offer, length of trip and cost. Is there any one company that is better than the others? Any feedback on these companies? Any other companies I missed?

Also, we'll be in the area September 12-19. The websites all mention that pre-booking is required, but do you think there would be any problem - that time of year - if we waited till we were in Norfolk and then phoned a day or two ahead of time to book? I would think with 3 companies offering tours and it not being high tourist season we should be able to get a last minute booking. We kind of want to see what the weather is going to be like (I know, impossible to predict!) before we commit to a specific date.

Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

It's some years now since I have been on a 'seal' trip at Blakeney, but back then there was only one company doing this. I THINK it was Bean's, but my memory could be wrong.

TBH I doubt you will find much of a muchness between them really, perhaps some will have newer boats??

The seals are not that far out of Blakeney anyway, so you don't go far by boat to see them.

It's a nice trip, and as you are mostly in estuarine water, the weather does not matter that much as the surface is generally quite smooth.

So, even if it is a bit 'drizzly' as it was when I went out there, as long as you are 'waterproofed' it is OK.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

There is little to choose between the variouis companies, but note that Beans operate from Morston Quay, which is a mile or two away from Blakeney. None of the boats actually go out to sea, but on certain dates some boats actually land at Blakeney Point, which is a bird sanctuary, so you may prefer to choose one of these. Note that the times of sailing vary from day to day because the deopend upon the state of the tides. Also note that this area is now becoming incredibly popular for its scenery, widlife and freedom from the worst behaviour of British youth, so you might be disappointed if you do not book.

While you are there, do make use of the Coasthopper bjus service, which runs half hourly between Hunstanton and Cromer

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Good info! Prompts me to start another thread. :o)

We planned on booking ahead for the boat tour, but do you think we would have a problem booking 3 or 4 days in advance. Or should we book further in advance than that?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Hi, We went a few years ago. I think that was with Bean's. In September, I think 3 or 4 days' notice will be more than ample.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

The trips run from Morston Quay. The reason why you should at least contact the companies in advance is to check that the trip will run and, most importantly, at what time. The timing of the trip is strictly limited to the period around high-tide. The first time that I tried to go on the trip I arrived hours before the trip ran and did not have the time to wait. Do plan in advance.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Yes, we will definitely call ahead of time for a reservation. We'll plan the day around it. Thanks.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Hi

This year there has regularly been seals on the beach at Wells. There was a group of about 8. You can walk quite close to them, they were very entertaining although you wouldn't want to touch them as they have a lethal bite. If they are there you will save yourself some money.

Chris

bavaria
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

Hello,

I already went out to the seals twice.

Just two weeks ago was the last time.

We did book the trip one day in advance,

but had to take an earlier boat, because the

other was full.

We went with Bean´s on both Occasions.

Make sure, that you bring warm clothes.

The boats do not have a roof.

You can find tho monthly tripplan at the

"Beans" Homepage.

greetings

Vintoria

9. Re: Blakeney Point Seal Boat Trips - which company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk
Recent Conversations