We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a drought affect our holiday?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Will a drought affect our holiday?

We have had lots of essential help with our two week boat hire in July and want to ask, you people with experience, whether our trip might be constrained/affected by drought conditions. I know it is impossible to predict the conditions but hope people who remember other years of drought can help. Thanks.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

Our first holiday on the Broads was in 1976 - the year of the long hot summer. No problems at all.

All the rivers are tidal.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

I wouldn't worry, the hosepipe ban only covers washing cars, gardening etc. filling up a boat with drinking/cooking water is considered essential use. You wouldnt be allowed to wash the boat with a hosepipe but who would want to on holiday?

Besides, the hosepipe ban next week will probably precede the wettest summer ever.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

Many thanks all, very reassuring. My question was prompted by the closing of a long section of canal near me and the problem this will cause boaters (also talking about our trip makes it seem a bit nearer !!!).

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

We have just returned from a boating trip on the Broads.

The river levels were all very high, so much so that Potter Higham bridge was closed to all cruisers, especially at high tide, and the tides were described by the pilot office signs as 'exceptional'. River front properties at Repps had been flooded. It is mainly down to the amount of rain with all the drainage pumps at full flow.

There were no problems using the blue hoses to get water. Richardsons kindly let us use theirs for free when we moored in their yard at Stalham. There are honesty boxes (posts) at some moorings such as Ranworth. Some yards charge 50p or so to fill up with water. It's surprising how much you use.

I can't see you having any problems due to drought.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

Indeed, I believe this is the wettest drought in recorded history :-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

"Besides, the hosepipe ban next week will probably precede the wettest summer ever"

Ever thought of being a weather forecaster, fuchsiagirl?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

Sorry all if I caused this "drought". Should have kept my mouth shut!!

We don't go until July so who knows what will happen...plague of locusts, volcanic eruption, end to the recession sorry that last one isn't possible.

As an aside we tried to pay the balance on our hire, from Hoseasons, a couple of weeks ago and couldn't manage it online or by their auto phone payment. Eventually gave up and got a human who did it in seconds. He didn't seem suprised that we had had difficulty but no explanation.

8. Re: Will a drought affect our holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:42