We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Hello, thinking about going to Norfolk for a week in September with my dog. I've never been to the area before and don't know anything about it so I was hoping for advice about which would be the best area to stay as a base. I'm particularly interested in knowing about the dog-friendliness of the area - lots of the holiday cottages I've been looking at are dog friendly, but does anyone know if many of the pubs allow a dog in too? Do most of the beaches have summertime restrictions? Which are the most attractive villages/towns to stay in, and what recommendations do people have on things to do? Any advice would be welcomed, thanks! :)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Good choice! Just hope the weather improves! There are many beaches which have no restrictions on dogs - Holkham, for example, most peoples favourite, and Brancaster. Wells has a small restriction but a huge area without. Just don't venture on to the restricted part with a dog, or the beach guardians will shout at you! Both Holkham and Wells have wooded areas behind the beach with no dog restrictions. You will normally have to ;pay to park close to the beaches - there's a good if pricey cafe in the car park at Wells. Additionally you have access to the whole of the Norfolk Coast path which only asks that you keep dogs under control. You can use the coasthopper bus service between Hunstanton and Cromer, every 30 mins in the summer months, and dogs are free. Particularly recommended is the part from Stiffkey to Wells - splendid views as you approach Wells.

Most pubs will allow well behaved dogs - in particular the Hoste Arms at Burnham Market always welcomes dogs - quite strange really because the village itself is just about the most dog unfriendly place I've come across - nowhere to walk them at all. The playing field is hardly used but dogs are banned!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

North Norfolk coast is where you want to be!!

Not only is Holkham an amazing beach but it is dog friendly with pine woods running down to the beach, you can also walk miles within the Holkham estate with a dog (on a lead or under control near the deer), Sandringham is dog friendly too, (well, the Queen isnt going to ban dogs is she)acres of woodland. We have taken our grandpuppy into several pubs along the coast, the White Horse at Holme being a favourite.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Have had to delay the hol now until the New Year so hoping to get there early spring - will use your advice to choose where to go, so thanks again!

Suffolk UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Maybe even try "The Orange Tree" at Thornham on the Nth Norfolk coast - stayed here in one of their lovely S/C rooms last year: very dog friendly even having their own "Menu" in the pub!

Oh, and the human good is great too!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

This might help

http://www.worldclassnorfolk.com/

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

just booked a dog friendly cottage rowan house for 1st september will report back

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

what town or village will you be in?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,402 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

Hi again fuchsia. Norfolk is a place that I have yet to visit. Certainly any TV programmes of the Norfolk Broads look lovely. Is this a plan or not? Fly from Dublin to London Southend airport with Aer Lingus and rent a car from there or simply take the car on the ferry to Holyhead and make my way across. Looking at this both from a less hassle and cost point of view.

Any other airports worth considering?

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

BOXtheFOX - You'd do much better to ask your question as a separate topic, rather than try to hijack this thread. Your question is quite different from the OP, Buddysmum.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Complete newbie to Norfolk!

hi box the fox,

we do this journey in reverse two or three times a year, you are looking at a seven hour drive from Holyhead to Norfolk.

As to cost, I've found there isn't a lot in it, flights are cheap but car hire is expensive, ferries are expensive but you have the convenience of your own car so its up to personal preference really.

If flying, I would choose London Stansted.

You will love Norfolk!!!