We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

We're going sef-catering at Sutton Staithe soon, but know nothing about Norfolk (one of the main reasons we're going!). Obviously, we're doing a bit of research but there might some other things you could help us out on.

Pubs and places to eat. I know about the Sutton Staithe Hotel and the Harnser. Anything else within striking distance? Real ale would be a bonus.

Walks and footpaths. Can we set out for walks along the river from Sutton, or do we need to travel? Anywhere else interesting for countryside, wildlife, etc?

On the Friday we arrive, I'm thinking about going into Norwich for the fok club at the Christ Church Centre, Magdalen Road. (Real ale? Folk club? I conform to all the cliches, don't I? I don't wear sandals or read the Guardian, though). Is it easy to get to? I'm assuming Park and Ride will finish on a night time.

What else is in the vicinity or worth a trip out?

John

Leicester
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

John. We found most of the pubs seemed to have at least a couple of real ales on, not sure now what they were called so must have been good!

I assume you have a car so nothing is going to be far away.

Have you considered having a day/picnic boat?

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

My son used to live in Sutton so I was once very famliar with the area. Little seems to change although Sutton Windmill is no longer open to the public. The Sutton Staithe Hotel is very pleasant if a little rundown and is in a grassy area at the head of the staithe. It's not easy to use the rivers and stathes for walking as they don't have towpaths like canals. But nearby is Weavers Way a long distance footpathe linking Great Yarmouth with Cromer.

See

countrysideaccess.norfolk.gov.uk/walk.aspx…

and you can use sections of this path for walks.

Further afield, the Norfolk Coast path links Cromer with Hunstanton and is well worth a trip out. Particularly recommended is the Sheringham to Weybourne section and Stiffkey to Wells through areas of outstanding natural beauty.

There's little to detain you in Sutton, but Stalham has a few pubs and a Tesco supermarket for supplies - it's walkable from Sutton Staithe but go via Sutton village, NOT along the main A149. The nearest beach is at Sea Palling about 4 miles away, but you might like to go a little further and visit Happisburgh, which is slowly sinking into the sea!! There's a good public car park by the beach and cliffs.

Also worth a visit is the Pleasure Boat Inn at nearby Hickling at the end of Hickling Broad

See http://www.thepleasureboat.com/

I would definitely consider a day boat - can't remeber seeing a hire place at Sutton but there are bases at Stalham and Wayford Bridge.

Don't know much about Norwich I'm afraid.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 16:51
Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

For real ales, try The Fat Cat in Nowich. http://www.fatcatpub.co.uk/

Also in Norwich, morning coffee at Caleys in the Guildhall - the flint building to one side of the covered market.Actually, hot chocolate with a tot of rum is even better......

A somewhat different idea, if the wife or kids are into dolls, try Margaret's Doll world at Bacton. She has a doll museum and it's well worth a look.........

Edited: 16 August 2012, 19:08
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

Thanks for those suggestions, folks. They will definitely come in useful.

One more I meant to ask, but forgot ... bike hire? We're out of practice at cycling up hills, so it seems a shame to waste the opportunity of being somewhere so flat. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks

John

5. Re: Sutton Staithe, Stalham: Things to do, and access to Norwch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 23:16