We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aylsham in February

kent,England
Level Contributor
63 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Aylsham in February

Can anyone suggest a route to drive (over the course of a day) taking in the coast and surrounding countryside with a few stops. I am going with my wife for 2 nights over a weekend staying at the Black Boys Hotel and would like to spend the Saturday seeing as much as possible. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Black Boys Hotel Pub & Restaurant
The Black Boys Hotel Pub...
498 Reviews
Aylsham, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aylsham in February

Well I would suggest first of all a drive the 10 miles or so to Holt, a unique small town - very popular. Then head for the coast - Cromer if you want to see the town, or Sheringham. Then follow the A149 coast road eastwards. Towns and villages worth seeing are Blakeney, Cley, Wells. Note that almost all the places on the A149 are not actually on the coast, but a short way inland. The whole of the area is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. You can continue further westward from Wells to Holkham, fine beach and Hall in its own deer park, and Burnham Market (if you can find anywhere to park) but you will nedd to be selective as you only have a day. You can return inland via Walsingham

Mentioned in this post
Holt
Holt
Norfolk, UK
Sheringham
Sheringham
Norfolk, UK
Blakeney
Blakeney
Norfolk, UK
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Holkham
Holkham
Wells-next-the-Sea, UK
Burnham Market
Burnham Market
Norfolk, UK
Walsingham
Walsingham
Norfolk, UK
Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
641 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aylsham in February

My route would be

Aylsham to Roughton A140

Left to and past Felbrigg B1436 and on to the junction with the A148

Left on to the A148 towards Holt.

At High Kelling turn right to Kelling

At the junction with A149 stop at The Reading Rooms for coffee/brunch/comfort break and a browse of the books and antiques which share the space with this delightful cafe.

Head left here along the A149 (coastal road) through Salhouse/Blakeney and look out for the Cley Nature Reserve visitors centre on the left. Stop here for a wonderful view of the marshes.

Continue west along the A149 through Cley and Blakeney and on to Wells. Stop in Wells for lunch and explore the town. In Feb it might be too cold to walk to the sea, so once you've seen the town, drive down Beach Road and park. Walk to the beach even if its too cold for a walk in the pine woods or to the the beach huts.

Leave Wells and head south toward Fakenham and join the A148 back to Holt. Have a look round Holt in the afternoon and head back to Aylsham from there. After a break I'd head over to The Ratcatchers, Eastgate, Cawston for a really good pub meal in the evening.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 23:25
Mentioned in this post
Aylsham
Aylsham
Norfolk, UK
Felbrigg Lodge
Felbrigg Lodge
584 Reviews
Aylmerton, UK
Blakeney
Blakeney
Norfolk, UK
Wells
Wells
Somerset, UK
Fakenham
Fakenham
Norfolk, UK
Holt
Holt
Norfolk, UK
kent,England
Level Contributor
63 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aylsham in February

Thanks to both of you for these ideas, I've got something to go on now!

4. Re: Aylsham in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:17