We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help provided in advance of my weekend jaunt to Norfolk, thought I'd post a quick trip report.

Day 1 - Saturday

We (3 guys) cancelled Friday as it was so very cold but glad we stuck with Saturday. Drove up from North Hertfordshire first thing, arriving at Woodhill Park in good time (shade over 2hrs) which is located in East Runton (between Sheringham and Cromer).

Woodhill Park is a pleasant little caravan park with camping facilities. Very good well stocked shop was impressive however no other facilities are provided in terms of 'things to do' from what we could see (i.e. bar, restaurant) despite tennis and crazy golf being mentioned on the website. We were the only ones camping (funnily enough) so had the field to ourselves, however if it were fully booked you wouldn't get much space per pitch.

Having pitched tents we walked into Cromer, had lunch at the Kings Head (v basic quality), strolled around town, dangled some crab lines over the pier and had an icecream. All the typical beachside stuff even if we were wrapped in several layers of clothes! We then spliced together a couple of walks, first out to Cromer Lighthouse (dull walk, mostly cutting through residential areas), then down into Overstrand (nice stroll, albeit along a road) before coming back along the beach (pleasant if blustery!).

Knowing how cold a night's sleep we had ahead of us we set about getting some alcohol in us in the evening, for which Cromer is well provided for in terms of number of pubs however there is otherwise no nightlife to speak of if you're under 30. Everyone goes to one pub - The Wellington, and then onto the only late night bar (Bouncers) which unfortunately we did not know closed its doors at 11pm so we 'missed out'.

Day 2 - Sunday

Having taken down the tents and cooked up some brekkie we drove into Sheringham and parked in the (pleasantly cheap) station car park. We then hopped onto the delightful steam railway for the short trip into Weybourne, walking the return journey along the North Norfolk Coastal Path which was very enjoyable. Note, it is better to do this the other way round as the wind was blowing in our face on the return.

Sheringham is a very pleasant little town so we just did the usual touristy stuff like cockles by sea, chip shop chips etc. Unfortunately we ran out of time to head to Blakeney and for some crazy reason the new Amazonia Zoo had decided not to open till AFTER the Easter weekend! At least that gives us something to come back for!

We then drove to Norwich for a night out. Stayed at the Mercure which was cheap as chips but very basic, located on the ring road, not near the centre - though only a £6 taxi ride away. Review here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186342-d1…

Best thing about the hotel is the 12pm check-out! Much needed having been out till 4am sampling Norwich's rather good nightlife. Decent bars, decent crowd. Stayed mostly along the Prince of Wales Road and ended up in Mercy XS which was really good (special commendation to the bouncer team there, they were excellent).

All in all a great little breakaway and we'll definitely be heading back when the weather picks up - both to the North Norfolk coast and Norwich.

norfolk
Level Contributor
880 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Thanks for the trip report, an interesting and informative read.

It's always a gamble when planning anything as the weather can be so changeable, I was on holiday this time last year and the weather was glorious, this year a totally different ball game.

The wind is Norfolk can be very cruel, it's a lazy wind, it doesn't go round you, it goes right through you.

Hope on your return visit the sun is shining.

Jean.

TX
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

>>>>The wind is Norfolk can be very cruel, it's a lazy wind, it doesn't go round you, it goes right through you.<<<<

Yikes! Very cheeky of it, don't you think? We plan to make our first visit to Norfolk in March, just before Easter next year. I'm already bracing for what will likely be similar weather to that experienced by David! I enjoyed this trip report. We hope to ride the steam train during our visit next year ... good to be advised to take note of which way the wind is blowing. :-)

Edited: 04 April 2013, 22:09
Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Good report Dave, and glad you all survived the experience...

Apart from the -OH groups, though, what else did you do to keep/stay warm "in tent" overnight??

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Glad you enjoyed it, despite the cold!

Nest time . have a look at Kelling Heath Holiday Park.

www.kellingheath.co.uk/ we've stayed there several times despite living only an hour away.

They have a clubhouse, a bar, a restaurant, a swimming pool, entertainment some weekends, and lots of lovely walks in a gorgeous setting, the steam train has a stop actually in the Park.

It's the only place I have ever heard a nightingale!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Bajablonde - when we moved here a good few years back, someone told us the wind could blow the bristles off barbed wire! The flip side to this, however, whilst we've had some snow, we've actually had very little compared to other parts of the country.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

3. Haha, Essex, I was in a tent on my own! Think the inflatable mattress and luxury mattress cover I nicked from my folks were the difference makers!!

Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

Sounds practical!

You are a brave man...

8. Re: Trip Report: A Chilly Easter Weekend in Norfolk!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 05:15