We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
289 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

We would like visit both area, but my DH is reluctant to do day trips from Norwich city.

We would like to stay in a village that has walking distances to pubs/restaurants.

I looked at Alysham.

We will be staying four nights in Bury St Edmonds.

TX
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

We're staying in Sheringham in March, renting a self-catering cottage (and the owner has been absolutely delightful to correspond with so we're really looking forward to meeting him). This will be our first trip to Norfolk and we're eager! I spent a fair amount of time yesterday "strolling the streets" of various places on Google Street View to get a good idea of where we want to go on our days out. We will not have a car, but will use Sheringham as our base and venture out daily on the Coast Hopper bus. I also learned that the steam train will be operational on a Saturday during our stay, so we plan to take advantage of that as well.

I'm glad you started this thread because it's helpful to me as well. Enjoy planning your trip!

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

It's probably be just as convenient to base yourself in Norwich near the station and take day trips by train to places like Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham and so on. Kings Lynn is fine but is now the railhead, so no trains, as there once were, to Hunstanton, Wells, etc

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

Hi bajablonde!

Good to see you back again!

Bob

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
115 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

Byfords in Holt, which is a small town, calls itself a posh B & B, have had dinner there and it was excellent, and reading tripadvisor reviews the bedrooms are excellent too. In the same group there is a pub with rooms which is called The Pigs, have a look at that one too. Holt would be more interesting than Aylsham in my opinion. Beautiful area of the country, lots to do and see, hope you have a great stay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
289 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

I have been looking at Holt accommodations and there are slim pickings. I did email one self catering and she was not interested in doing a "short break". I don't blame her. The hotels are pretty pricey IMO..

I gather that is because of supply and demand. Same with Ayshlam.

Maybe staying in the outskirts of Norwich is not such a bad idea Loughtonion. ;-)

BTW, Bajablonde, I have been reading your posts also! We Anglophiles need to stick together! :-)

I will persevere however.

And thanks once again for your replies!

BTW, we will have a car.

Baja, my DH is an excellent driver on British roads. It takes me days to not cringe when we start driving there LOL, no wonder I need a pint at a pub when finished touring for the day!!!!!!

TX
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

Hi Bob! :-)

JUdyrem, I completely understand what you mean about "the cringe factor"! I have driven on numerous previous trips to the UK (usually with my mum in tow), and she and I always have to have the discussion where I remind her not to make terrified noises when we're rounding a blind corner or when a car whisks by at what seems like extreme velocity on a narrow road! Our upcoming trip to Norfolk will be the first one in quite some time where I have not been driving, and I'm so relieved already!

I wanted to share the link for Kit's Beck, where we'll be staying in Sheringham. Not sure if you have any interest in a property such as this, but it looks delightful to me and the owner has been so very gracious.

http://www.kitsbecksheringham.com/index.php

Edited: 08 January 2014, 19:32
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
289 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

LOL, I think I need to put blinders on!!!!! When we go through especially difficult roundabouts, I start singing "people in the middle have the right of way"...... I must really love the place if I keep on putting myself through such hair raising situations....... ahhh but the people, the history, the gardens, the stately homes..no place better IMO.

Thanks for making me smile.

BTW, your link was great! The place looks gorgeous, too bad the dates were taken.

TX
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

Oh, I completely agree! And having traced our ancestry back to the tiny little Leicestershire hamlet of Barton in the Beans (what a name!), my mother and I just have a special affinity for the wonderful, quirky country. (Yes, I said quirky, and I stand by that assertion. ;-D)

Darn that the dates were taken at Kit's Beck! Seems we never have a problem finding accommodation in early March. But who in their right mind goes to such a cold place THAT time of year? ::sigh:: Oh well - we just want to be there so badly that we go when we can. I hope you find the perfect location soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
289 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

BTW, I finally figured what would be the best itinerary.

When we leave Bury St Edmonds, we will stop in Norwich and see the sites for the day.

Then proceed to Sheringham and rent a self catering.

We will do site seeing from that base.

I found a few owners that are willing to do "short breaks".

Thanks so much once again.

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Best village for access to coast and Norwich?

That sounds a good plan.

Norwich centre is not very car friendly, but there are 6 Park & Ride places around the city, where you park for free and just pay for a bus to the centre.