We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

My 73-year old mother and I will be visiting Suffolk in early-mid March, basing ourselves in Lavenham. As we most enjoy the picturesque villages/towns and like to visit charming pubs and tea rooms, I welcome your suggestions for historic/ambient places to dine, take tea, or just have a drink. (We will be traveling via taxi.)

Day 1: Lavenham

Day 2: Hadleigh for lunch, Kersey for a pint at The Bell Inn

Day 3: Long Melford for lunch - considering Tiffin's Tea Emporium; Kentwell Hall (is KH worth a visit, even when there is no reenactment going on?)

Day 4: Sudbury

Day 5: Clare and Cavendish

Day 6: Bury St. Edmunds

Edited: 14 January 2013, 20:18
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

There is an hourly bus between Lavenham and Bury St Edmunds and also serves Subdury and in one direction goes down to Colchester if it's the same bus, but stops around 5-6pm, you can get all the details through www.travelineeastanglia.co.uk and if you both have passes it will be free after 9.30am.

Also, it's not free but from Bury St Edmunds, Stephenson's have launched a two hourly bus in the Ipswich direction, it stops at Stowmarket, I think and other places but concessionary passes aren't valid according to the website, again check Traveline it may be there's easy bus routes which could save you a lot of taxi fares..

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

Thanks very much, jdtaylor, but we have decided to go ahead with a rent car.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

Just to say...your comment about lanes being wider, Suffolk very rural area, apart from one big highway going through which is the A14, there are no other highways/motorways. The more rural you are the smaller the roads, with many single track road, especially if you are exploring Lavenham/Kersey area. However, outside of the main towns there is much traffic. Biggest issue is very bendy roads with lots of blindspots.

Car is by far the easiest way to see Suffolk, if you want a taste of rural suffolk life in days gone by, Museum of East Anglian Life in Stowmarket (15 mins from Lavenham) is a great day out http://eastanglianlife.org.uk (many reviews on TA)

I would also suggest researching the following places that may be of interest..Orfordness, Southwold, Dunwich, Framlingham, Orford, Aldeburgh, Snape.

If you need any advice or help on the area, please feel free you ask me, I live in the heart of Suffolk close and know the area reasonable well.

Really hope you enjoy your stay!

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

My above post has a mistake "outside of the main towns there is much traffic. Biggest issue is very bendy roads with lots of blindspots."

It should be "there is NOT much traffic".

Thanks to Wansteader for pointing it out.

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

Insurancechap, thank you so much for your thoughts! We have definitely reserved our car, and are now finalizing our itinerary. Of course, we will allow for leeway should we get there and decide that we just don't want to go to such-and-such place on a given day ... that's actually part of the fun. Knowing that we do have a planned schedule, but having the freedom not to stick to it if we don't feel like it! Just today I've been looking a bit further afield, specifically at Aldeburgh. I think that would make a lovely day trip from Lavenham, and looks like a fairly easy drive. Of course, viewing the town on Google Street View spoils a person - as the photos seem to have been captured in spring or summer, and I'm sure it won't have quite the same sunny look in March. Still ... a pretty place on the coast? Sounds like something we definitely need to consider fitting into the plan.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

The suffolk coast, for much of it is very barren, windswept, and can be quite beautiful with a moody colour background sky. Would also suggest a google/wiki search on the following, they may interest you, Snape Maltings, Dunwich,oh if you like Oyster head to Orford, Orfordness, Kersey, clare, cavendish. If you are into art you are near the gainsborough and constable homes.

A spring morning walk along the beach will set you up for a good lunch.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 01:47
27. Re: Itinerary ... Your suggestions welcomed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Suffolk
Recent Conversations