We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Traffic on A12

Hi

I'm relocating to Suffolk, possibly Little Glemham. I need to commute to Ipswich on daily basis and think driving to the park and ride in Martlesham is best option. Is that right? And can I hope to do it in an hour in the morning or is the A12 rammed?

thx v much for all responses

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic on A12

Do you mean an hour to get to the park and ride or an hour to get into Ipswich?

Either way, I would allow half an hour to get to the park and ride and park up. You will have two short stretches of dual carriageway (one around Wickham mkt & one from Woodbridge to Martlesham) to help congestion. The only slow sections you will encounter generally will be approaching the roundabouts around Woodbridge.

I have no idea how long the park & ride bus will tka eto get into the centre in the rush hour but I would guess maybe upto half an hour. I can't remember whether the route has a bus lane all the way in?

If you decide to drive in then avoid at all costs the A1214 route via Kesgrave. This is really busy and very slow. A good alternative is to continue on the A12 past the park and ride exit and at the third roundabout turn right into Ipswich. This road is called Foxhall road and goes past the speedway stadium. Stay on this road and it will take you straight into Ipswich. The road will end near the centre at a T junction or staggered cross roads (can't remember which) and you have to take a left and join the B1075 Spring road which takes you right round the top of the centre.

If you let us know where you will be working I or others can maybe give you an alternative route

Oh and Little Glemham is an ideal location. Lovely area and close to Snape Maltings, Framlingham, Woodbridge and Aldeburgh.

Hope the relocation goes well for you and any other questions just let us know. There's always good advice to be found from people on this forum

Edited: 28 February 2013, 11:38
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic on A12

thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I did mean the whole trip and I had estimated an hour door to door but am researching remotely so it's difficult. I tested the drive north from the park & ride on a Sunday afternoon and it took about 20 minutes so just was worried it would be much longer going south on a weekday morning. You've really reassured me, thank you so much.

On a related subject, what's your understanding on the possible by-pass for the nuclear power station? And what do you think the likely timeframes might be?

ty again

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic on A12

Ok, you maybe want to allow then 35 to 40 minutes to get to the park and ride if it took you 20 minutes on a Sunday. I have never driven on that section in the morning rush hour but have done in the evening but only as far as Wodbridge where I turned off. As I mentioned before you will certainly encounter slower traffic around Woodbridge because of the three roundabouts but I don't know exactly how much time this will take or how quickly the traffic will move. On your first morning, allow an hour and a half in total and then see how long each section (driving and bus) takes.

By pass for the nuclear power station. My understanding is the bypass would be for the villages of Farnham, Stratford and Glemham on the A12. As you have probably found out by now this section is a major bottleneck. The last I heard I think the council would try and get the developers of Sizewell C to pay for the bypass if it ever gets built. My view is this would be the only way of getting the bypass built. The goverment certainly aren't going to pay for it regardless of who is in power. The current dualling of the A11 south of Thetford will be the last major road project in Suffolk now for many many years.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic on A12

The worst part of the journey will be the bus ride through Kesgrave. There's no bus lane until you get to the Woodbridge Road/Playford Road junction just before the roundabout at Heath Road, at the North end of the hospital.

Traffic queues along Main road in Kesgrave, especially during the school run and by the roundabouts where people exit the estates.

About 30 minutes from the park and ride into town, depending on what time in the morning. It's much better before about 08:15.

The A12 is not too bad, the worst part as mentioned being through Woodbridge, then around the roundabout into the P&R which is controlled by lights. An hour overall is about right.

5. Re: Traffic on A12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2017, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Suffolk
Recent Conversations