We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re motorhome trip

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
re motorhome trip

HI ,WOULD welcome an ideas for motorhome trip in Suffolk,never having visited the area ,we are keen walkers who live in the Peak District and usually seem to go north from here.We have approx 3 weeks.We also like history and thought possibly to start from BuryStEdmunds ,then drop down to Colchester and travel along the East Coast,then turn inland.We would like to combine sightseeing with some good walks ,not every where is motorhome friendly.There does not seem to be an awful lot of motorhome sites,or am I looking in the wrong places.Please Please help!!!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re motorhome trip

Hi abie,

The link below should give a good place to start.

www.visitsuffolk.com/stay/thedms.aspx…

These campsites, mentioned in the above site are in areas that I like for walking and cycling. I live in Suffolk so do not use any of these sites so I cannot recommend the sites or actually know if they take motorhomes. Just that they are in nice areas.

Forest Camping (right in the middle of a forestry Comission forest)

Cliff House Holiday Park ( only about 5 minutes from a National Trust managed heathland and 10 mins from Minsmere RSPB reserve)

Mill Hill Farm (nice part of Suffolk)

Run Cottage Touring Park (nice park of Suffolk)

Cake & Ale (nice part of Suffolk)

Eel's Foot Pub. Eastbridge. (not in the above link) has a small site in the field next door but I am not sure who owns it. The pub is great and so is the area.

http://www.theeelsfootinn.co.uk/

Hope this is a bit of a start

Bob

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: re motorhome trip

Thanks for that,it will certainly help us to make start,not knowing the area at all, it is difficult to know what to expect. Suffolk is obviously far different terrain than we are used to.Thanks again.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re motorhome trip

If you are a member of the Caravan Club you could use some of their network of 5 van sites. We use these all the while as they are quiet, and some are adult only if that appeals to you.

caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-holiday/uk-h…

We use these sites all the while and they often have motorhomes on them.

Bury (as it is always known locally) would be a good place to start. It's an attractive town with a huge market on a Wed and Saturday. You can visit the Greene King brewery, walk in the grounds of the old Abbey etc.

From Bury it is an easy journey to Lavenham - don't miss this beautiful medieval small town!

http://www.discoverlavenham.co.uk/

The countryside is rolling hills, not flat, and there are numerous walks.

www.theaa.com/walks/lavenham-wool-town-421036

Near to Lavenham are some wonderful little villages - Long Melford, Clare, Cavendish, Kersey etc. Almost every Suffolk village, however small, has a glorious 'wool church', built on the proceeds of the lucrative medieval wool trade.

I would also suggest you spend some time on the coast - Orford, Southwold, Aldeburgh are all worth visiting. Snape Maltings are interesting too. Dunwich and Minsmere are excellent bird watching and walking areas.

http://www.snapemaltings.co.uk/

Sutton Hoo is worth a visit too.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-hoo/

Colchester is in Essex - did you have a particular reason for wanting to go there?

Lastly there's Constable Country on the Suffolk/Essex border - Flatford Mill, Dedham etc.

Hope this kicks off some research.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 21:23
England
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: re motorhome trip

Thanks Morgana , all that is more than useful. We need to get the motor home on sites that we can do circular walks from especially on the coast, we would like to walk the heritage coast if possible. the reason for going to Colchester is because of the history there,is it worth incorporating into our trip or not,we would not want to waste 3 nights if not, thanks again !!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re motorhome trip

Hello! Try to fit in a visit to Diss, lovely old market town

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re motorhome trip

Well, Colchester is very ancient but personally I'm not enamoured with the place. But this is your trip and not mine!

Colchester Castle would be my only reason for wanting to go, but I understand that it is closed until 2014.

If you want to visit a castle then you could go to Framlingham. It's lovely, I like going onto the battlements and walking around them, and again there are walks all over the district.

discoversuffolk.org.uk/userfiles/…20Way.pdf

Diss is nice enough but again you are straying into Norfolk! I love Norfolk too but you've got loads to see in Suffolk.

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: re motorhome trip

Diss may be in Norfolk but it is literally right on the Suffolk/Norfolk border so you would only be straying into Norfolk by a few hundred metres. But apart from the mere and one street with nice buildings, I can't think of any other reason to visit there. The shops in the town are mainly charity shops and bookmakers. If you want to visit a town with nice buildings in that area then I would suggest Eye. Also nearby is Thornham walks from where you can go on several circular walks through the Thornham estate. These walks are in my view some of the best walks in Suffolk away from the coast.

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: re motorhome trip

HI,Thanks for your reply,,obviously we do not want to spend time somewhere not really interesting,the walks you suggest sound good,our main objective with walking is to to do as much ad possible of the coast path,I am sure some areas are mire interesting than others,,with a motor home we have to find a site in the middle of two walks , or preferably a circular walk, it is not always possible, but if have any ideas would be grateful,don,t feel that you have to reply,we are so pleased by all the response from people,sometimes you never get a reply .Thanks again for your suggestions. Abiengland

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: re motorhome trip

Hi again,

Providing you have an OS map then the sites at The Eels Foot and Cliff House Holiday Park are both suitable for walks going North, South or West (not East!)

From Eels Foot there is a walk (going east for a couple of Km)to the coast, along to Sizewell, through to Leiston Common and back to Eastbridge.

Or North East to Minsmere (RSPB) and on to Coastguard Cottages (NT) and on into Dunwich (past Cliff House Holiday Park). Depending on your fitness level there is then the whole of Dunwich Forest with extensive footpaths.

Bob

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: re motorhome trip

Good walk options highlighted above by bob.

Some other nearby walks in that area are:

Nearby in Dunwich you can do a circular walk from the village up to the cliffs, through the woods near the caravan park, across the edge of Dunwich heath, through some more woods and back to the village.

Further up the coast in Walberswick, you can do a circular walk inland right by the bank of the river, then across Walberswick common and back to the village again.

Also in Walberswick is a nice walk across the common and then following the old railway line to Blyhburgh.

And yet another walk starting from Walberswick takes you across the marshes and though part of Dunwich forest to the edge of the village of Dunwich where you end up at a team room.

Or from Walberswick you can take the small ferry or footbridge over to Southwold harbor and then walk into Southwold via the common. You can then return back to the harbor via the beach road or the beach itself.

Enjoy