We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Australia
Level Contributor
502 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Since my last post I have had a bit of a rethink and would appreciate your comments on the feasibility of this new plan. We arrive in Heathrow and take the train to Lewes on the Sunday and spend the afternoon/evening looking around Lewes. Day 2, we catch the train to Brighton to have a look around. We then have 3 days to have a a look around and will hire a car in Lewes to get

around. Day 3 From Lewes we will travel to Arundel, Midhurst and Petworth and if it is possible to Hever Castle in the same day and then back to Lewes. Days 4 & 5 Some of the places we would like to see are Battle, Rye, maybe Bodiam Castle and Sissinghurst Gardens. ( Have I missed anything?). I'm not sure if we are trying to fit too much in. As we are in our late 60s we would prefer not to rush around too much and I realise that travelling by road takes much longer than it does for same distance here in Australia. On the Friday we will take the train from Lewes to Gatwick in time to catch our flight to Barcelona which leaves around 1.00pm. If we left Lewes

around 8am would this get us there in with time to spare? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced B&B and car rental company in Lewes would be appreciated.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Well firstly, I think it's a real shame you've changed your mind about staying in Rye, which would have made for a much more memorable holiday than Lewes. Why was that ?

Still, it's your choice and Lewes is not a bad call. Pick somewhere from here, they're all good : http://www.lewesbandb.co.uk/ I use Enterprise in nearby Uckfield for car hire - they will deliver and pick up to your B&B/station. Very reliable.

Shame you can't fly into Gatwick, it's about half an hour on the train to Lewes. You won't need to leave as early as you think on the final day.

As to your days out, I'd drop Hever. Midhurst and Petworth are fairly similar so drop one of those and perhaps try the Weald and Downland museum at Singleton. I would keep to your choices for days 4 and 5.

Mike

Australia
Level Contributor
502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Hi Mike

Thank you for replying. We would have preferred to stay in Rye but I thought it looked it looked more difficult to get there from Gatwick. We are flying into Gatwick from Glasgow and going out of Gatwick to Barcelona. When I looked at the train timetable it seemed easier to get to Gatwick from Lewes rather than Rye. Is that right? As we are getting an international flight we would need to be in Gatwick about 10am to be on the safe side.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Ah - you said that you were flying into Heathrow in the post above.

Rye is a little bit further but not difficult. Just stay on the train at Lewes and change at Eastbourne. Of course, it would make your West Sussex travels a bit further, but then that's a full day anyway.

If it was me, I'd stay in Rye. But Lewes will be fine.

Mike

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

I've never been to Rye so can't compare the two, but we loved Lewes, beautiful old town

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

I didn't find it hard getting to Gatwick from Rye. I took the train from Rye to Eastbourne and caught the train to Gatwick from there and coming back I took the train from Gatwick to Brighton, than Brighton to Rye, quite easy. I know vice versa, but just saying my experience at travelling to Gatwick.

Just in regards to the Gatwick point. This was this year.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 20:43
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Locationally IMO you have made the right choice. I know both towns and think they are of equal interest (don't forget Lewes has its own castle).

Parking in Lewes can be difficult. Hint - make sure whatever accommodation you book has ample free parking!

Lewes, East Sussex...
Level Contributor
62 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

Just to mention - Arundel can easily fill a whole day if you visit the town, Castle and Wetlands. Also, Hever Castle can take a day too - the main problem is the distance, they are in opposite directions if starting from Lewes and are 50 miles apart. I think you probably need to choose one place for each day that you really want to visit and then if you have time to take in some of the others along the way that's a bonus.

8. Re: Help with planning our trip, please to the Southeast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about East Sussex