We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

mt emu
Level Contributor
94 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

We are finishing a car tour of England end of May we will be coming from Portsmouth as James is history mad and has watched the Hornblower series several times bf heading by train to London wondered if Brighton would be a good location for car drop offpoint am not committed to Brighton just seemed a possibility .

Plan is spend day looking around stay o/n drop off car.My husband remembers the pier from 30 yrs ago old arcade games and penny falls(?) which he thinks James would esp enjoy is it still like that or is it all modernized I looked at the website and it sounded more like what we get here at our agricultural shows fast rides and expensive arcade games. In which case we would rather do something else, unique to England. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

Yes I think it would be worth going, and/or you could also visit the nearby village and castle of Arundel.

Plus when done a short drive North to Gatwick airport, drop the rental off there and take a fast train back to London.

Mentioned in this post
Arundel
Arundel
Arun District, UK
London
London
England, UK
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

Just a five minute walk from the pier is the Royal Pavillion, the bizarre palace built by the Prince Regent. Always worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
The Prince Regent
The Prince Regent
159 Reviews
London, UK
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

Stop off in Arundel on your way east from Portsmouth, see the castle & it's grounds alongside the river, fab way to spend 1/2 a day.

Go to the pier, it still has loads of amusement games like the penny falls etc.

If your into history then as above said, you MUST go to the Royal Pavilion, it's well worth an hour or so.

What I wouldn't agree with is the drive to Gatwick/train to London option. If the hire car company has a Brighton office then leave the car there, the train is just under an hour to London Victoria, much easier than going through the crowds at a major international airport. Being the 1st station on the line a seat is normally guaranteed, unless you go up with the morning commuters!

Car parking is expensive & difficult in the city centre, I'd advise to 'dump' the car with the rental company before wandering round (everything is within walking distance) if your able to get your luggage into your hotel early enough.

Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Arundel
Arundel
Arun District, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Royal Pavilion
Royal Pavilion
6,889 Reviews
Brighton, UK
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

From what you say, I don't think you'd want to visit the pier. It is very modernised and although there are still a good few old fashioned bits left ( as far as I know the helter skelter I used to go down 30 years ago is still there!), it has been very taken over now by roller coasters and expensive arcade machines.

Pacifica, California
Level Contributor
70 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

For a 12 year old...sure go to the pier he will like it... since the boy is a history buff take him to the site of the Norman invasion at Hastings not far from Brighton. Also a few old WWII RAF airfields are still around the area. Happy trails :o) Ms. Traci

Mentioned in this post
Hastings
Hastings
East Sussex, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
mt emu
Level Contributor
94 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. We are going with advice to dump car and look around. Will play it by ear will drop in at the pier but I suspect will not stay all that long. I think the pavillon will be a winner, hard to tell with kids what will grab their attention often not the things you think.The 'beach' will certainly be a shock to this aussie kids system no miles and miles of sand so the usual beach engineering(castles,moats etc) will be out. Still hopefully there will be rockpools for exploring.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

hate to dissapoint, but you wont find rock pools of any description on beaches in the centre of town, for those, (which are very limited) you need to be on a beach east of the marina, which is too far to walk, but easy reached on the No7 Bus.

By the sound of it, your time might be better suited heading for Brighton Museum, adjacent to the Pavillion.

http://www.brighton.virtualmuseum.info/

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
8. Re: One day in Brighton 12yrold boy pier is it worth it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 01:17