We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

I may be moving to Sussex soon, and would like to live in/near Brighton. I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a nice part of Brighton to live, somewhere that is safe, pleasant to live and has a sense of community, but walking distance (say 20 mins walk) from the centre of Brighton and and from the train station.

I've heard Hove is the best place to live. Is this walking distance from the train station?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

Hove has its own train station, so it's incredibly convenient for trips to London, East Sussex, West Sussex, and beyond. If you want to be closer to Brighton Station, consider Seven Dials or Kemp Town.

Obviously, I'm a Hove fan, and prefer it to Brighton, but that's me. The area between Brunswick Square and Sackville Road is well served by buses and is convenient for Hove Station.

It really depends on whether you intend to buy or rent, and whether you're looking for houses or flats. Some areas are obviously pricier than others, though prices have come down a little in the past year. But it's still a hot area because of the commutable access to London and proximity to Gatwick. The further away from central Brighton/Hove you go, the more value for money.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

Born & raised in Hove (actually!) but I've lived in Seven Dials area too which is soo handy when youre commuting.

Otherwise by fav area is Preston Park.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
95 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

You can't get better advice on all things Brighton and Hove than from Bojangles and Artgirl, but here are my suggestions anyway. If you can't find these areas on the map, any lettings or estate agent will know where they are when you start looking in earnest.

Don't know what type of accommodation you are looking for so I will give a brief summary of what's available in each area. All are very pleasant in my opinion.

1. Clifton Hill, very close to town, pricey, flats and terraced houses (and a few mansions !).

2. Seven Dials, just north of Clifton Hill, again mostly flats and some terraces.

3. Port Hall - further north again from Seven Dials, mostly terraced houses, a few converted into flats.

4. Kemp Town - to the east of the centre, pricey, mixed flats and old town houses.

5. Brunswick - just to the west of the centre, mostly flats with little or no gardens, very lively. Some lovely old houses (all converted into flats).

6. Central Hove (i.e between Brunswick and Sackville Rd) - mixture of flats (some very large) and large houses.

7. Poets Corner - not as central (further west), and can be a bit rough round the edges, but cheaper than all the above, mostly terraced houses with small gardens.

8. New Church Road - further west still, but if you are looking for semi and detached houses, there are loads around here, very pleasant area.

That's all the best places I know !

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

that's a great and definitive listing JC, i couldn't disagree or add anything.

Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

Hi Sapna44, interesting advice there.

You havn't said what you are looking for exactly but I'll try to give you an idea about the area I live in.

I have lived all my adult life in or near to the "accademic corridor" which literally translates as the "Lewes Road Corridor" and I'll try to describe it starting from out of town and heading in.

So starting from the furthest reaches of Brighton and Hove's juristiction is the University of Sussex, A red brick Uni on a downland campus just on the border of the "city limits". Next comes two large (ex) council estates; namely Coldean and Moulscoomb. Suprisingly alot of students choose to live here in a shared house set up, as accom is relativly cheap compared to the rest of town.

Come under the Moulscoomb railway bridge and you are into Bevendean, which is a continuation of Moulscoomb but has the University of Brighton spanning both sides of the Lewes Road. Next the Coombe road area - there are some nice houses here with unresticted parking and local shops nearby. A retail park opposite (B&Q, Halfords, Commet etc.) is subject to a long term plan to redevelop as a supermarket / offices / community space (let's see!!)

You now hit the Lewes Road Gyratory (spelling??). It's at this point that I consider to be "in town" rather than in the suburbs. Lewes Road runs straight down towards the town centre and the sea with a large Sainsburys, several pubs (some v good some bad IMO), takeaways and convienience stores before you get to the level. There is alot of housing for sale or rent around here, as ever popular with students.

Finally you get to the level and the Elm Grove Junction, and here on the left up the hill is the start of HANOVER aka musili mountain (or sometimes Guardian Readers Ghetto). Probably the most community orientated area so far with some outstanding pubs but not much in the way of local shops - lewes road for that! Again very popular with students that can afford it, and a real mix of people. This is a very sought after area of the city.

As an overview the Lewes Road is probably the best served by busses in town due to the large student base. I live near the Gyratory (sp?) and can walk to Brighton Station in under 20 mins. There is another station at Moulscoomb for direct trains to Lewes and Eastbourne, or to Brighton mainline station in about 10 mins.

Hope that helps - others may add

BTW regulars of TABF - I've never been a scoomer, I'm from Bo's neck of the woods!

6. Re: Recommendations for areas to live in Brighton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2008, 00:29
Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations