We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Hello to all TA good people.

I'm planning to visit Brighton for first time at the end of the month, and as far as my guidebook hasn't arrive yet, I start to be a bit anxious because I need to book accomondation and tickets asap! I need some basic information and advice please!

1) I will come on a train from London. Is it advisable to book well in advance? ( I will come on a Friday and leave on a Sunday) I understand it's cheaper to book online?

2) Is train station located far away by the waterfront? Is it near city center? Is it in a nice area? Would it be advisable to book a hotel/B&B in this area? If not, then where?

3) Is it easy to find taxis by the train station (and by the pier, especially during nights?)

4) In general, is it easy to walk around the city?

5) Any recommendations on site-seen? (Museums, historic places and such? I know only about Royal Pavillion!)

6) Could you sugest a couple of nice pubs where a large group of people will not be a problem? I travel solo, but quite possibly will meet about 10 friends in Brighton and I'd like to organise a night out for them!

7)Any other advice for a solo 27 y.o. woman, visiting Brighton for 1rst time?

Thanks for your time!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

You won't gain much if anything by buying tickets in advance. There is a very frequent train service from Victoria Station to Brighton (but check whether there will be railway engineering works on the Sunday - there have been around Haywards Heath with a bus service for part of the journey)

Brighton Station is around ten minutes downhill walk to the Pier and the sea. There are usually lots of taxis at the station and also on the Steine, near the pier.

Most B+Bs are near the sea - try the Kemptown area.

I would suggest the Evening Star pub in Surrey Street around 400m from the station.

Sights include the Royal Pavillion, the (Victorian) Pier, walking around the Lanes and the seafront.

Brighton has two universities and a very cosmopolitan atmosphere - should be just right for a young woman.

Have a great time

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Thank you for your quick reply!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Hi, well hopefully youre gonna enjoy Brighton, so long as you dont expect great weather that is!

Loads to do and see thats guaranteed.

You don't say how long you are staying for, or what budget you have for accommodation, whether you prefer small B&B Guesthouses, or larger purpose built hotels. Do you want to be right on the seafront, or content with more central areas (not that this makes it more walking etc).So that would be useful to know before making firm recommendations.

Yours questions;

1, Dont book in advance, there is little if any benefit, buy your ticket on concourse at the ticket machines at Victoria (i assume you're starting from there).

2,The rsail station is an easy 10-15min walk down hill to the seafront. Its an ok area to stay, and the Jurys Inn Hotel is just behind the station, http://brightonhotels.jurysinns.com/

Room rates for hotels obviously increase at weekends. Also be aware that most places only accept a min of a two night booking at weekends in Btn. I would not necessarily recommend Kemp Town for any reason than for me, its not central enough, so i would always recommend Regency Square for some good B&B's, 2mins from the seafront, and surrounded by restaurants, pubs and bars within a 5min walk away.

Having said that, i think you might like this little place, right on the seafront road, maybe a little noise from trafic, but its a fab loaction, in the middle of it all.

http://www.aquarium-guesthouse.co.uk/

Great reviews too.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186273-d6367…

3, Brighton is a 24/7 city, yes you can get taxi's by the station and anywhere else in town at any time of the day/night. So no problems.

4, Very easy to walk around, some parts are a little hilly, but in the main all down hill to the seafront areas, North Laine & Lanes (must see) areas.

5, Things do to & See. (Some of these links contain slightly out-of-date info, but they're a good indicator.

visitbrighton.com/xsdbimgs/…20Brighton.pdf

tourism.brighton.co.uk/attractions/index.asp…

http://www.brightonwalks.com/

laterooms.com/en/brighton-guide.aspx#mustsee

www.metro.co.uk/travel/article.html…

mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/…worth

6, Places to drink

The Mash Tun (Church Street)

The Waggon and Horses (Church Street)

The Earth and Stars (Windsor Street ) (I love this place!) Organic beers, ciders and wines - along with a full organic food menu.

The Basketmakers (Gloucester Road)

'In Vino Veritas' Wine Bar in North Road.

7, Just relax and enjoy! :-)

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Hi bojangles, thanks for your reply, that's a lot of info and I'll check it out straight away!

I will arrive on a Friday and leave on Sunday, will be there just for a weekend really,as a side trip from my main trip to London.

Anything in a budget GBP 85-90 in the worst case will be OK really, but I try to keep costs down.I'd prefer to be in a range around GBP 60-70 or less. Usually I prefer some family run guesthouses/B&B, but on my research to London I found out that most of them are not good quality for money! I hope that doesn't apply to Brighton. Anyway, a hotel would do too, depending on location and rate. I will check on the juris in, I had stay to one some years ago and it was an OK stay!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Oh, I almost forgot! I don't mind walking 10-15 minutes to be in the center of things. It might sound stupid, but I am bored to carry my luggage far away from stations etc. I prefer to book a hotel near by, go, drop there my luggage, and then off I go. And then when departing, take my luggage and go again. Of course if there is a really nice place in a short distance, or if center of things is far away, I can book in other locations too.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Now... I checked Juris, no availiability for Saturday, although nice rates for a Juris In, and seems to be in a handy location!

I checked reviews and I liked this Aquariwm guesthouse, so I sent an enquire at them, and they replied 60 GBP per night, but they said to CALL them, as this offer is not availiable on line! Does this makes sense to you? What is the difference booking through e-mails or booking on the phone? Anyway, as far as they reply on my e-mail, what is their problem? I just send them a request if it's possible to do it throu e-mail, providing my CC details. Just wondering, is that a common practise in Brighton? As far as guesthouses have their own site on the net, and they accept boookings on line for double rooms, why not accept bookings on line for single occupancy? Just seems weird to me!!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

£60 a night is a pretty good price considering it is so centrally located & Brighton gets booked up quickly on w/ends all year round - I would go ahead & phone them, if that's how they want it! Tell them you are ringing from Greece so they (hopefully) don't keep you too long on the phone. Enjoy Brighton, I'm sure you'll love it but make sure you take a nice warm coat - the wind on the seafront can be quite strong :)

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

I dont think its weird necessarily, so i would call them on the phone and book that 60GBP rate ASAP!

Theyre a small privately owned guesthouse, with great reviews, you dont get many of these places come up with availability at weekends. So my advice is book it, and dont delay!!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

They repplied through e-mail and told me to do it via their website now, did that, although their form is a bit confusing. No choise for single occupancy, but they said they will sort it out! I am waiting for final confirmation till tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed everything will be sorted!

No worries about the weather! I was working/leaving in Belfast and Cork sometime ago, so I know what you mean! :) I'll come prepared, although a bit of sun shine would be more than wellcome!!!

: )

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brighton for 1rst time! Some help please : )

Hang on, there IS an advantage to buying tickets in advance from London - there is currently a £3 special offer if you book in advance! Details here:

www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=499

Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations