We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

False Information

Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
False Information

How can a hotel advertise that every bedroom is 'en suite'? The Amblecliff B&B does!!!For this hotel it is not true. Tatty top of the house room has a minute wash basin only. This is not en suite. The shower and toilet are shared with another room and are positioned on the landing.

The 'luxury suite' (?) consists of a windowless and airless basement room with a corridor passing the 2nd bedroom/living room. No privacy as there is no door. Stained bulky and dirty armchairs let down into single beds.

A glass door and side window at the end of the passage give access to a couple of steps onto a boxed in pocket patio.

Why does the Amblecliff B&B state it is a non-smoking hotel? This patio stinks of stale nicotine and cigarette ends can be seen lodged in the flooring.

Does no one in the Brighton tourist office or Health and Safety department check the Brighton hotels?

A good selection of food is offered for breakfast but the service is painfully slow.

The landlady looks as though she is dressed by Oxfam leftovers and boy, how she can gossip!!!

To call this place a hotel is a an insult to the word.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: False Information

Did you complain to the manager that you were mislead?

Did you complain to the tourist office?

Stoofer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: False Information

its a tarted guest house B&B, alas they're not alone in misleading info i'm sure. Trading Standards might be interested in the misrepresentation's of offering "en-suite" accommodation. Take it to the small claims court ans see if you can get your money back with compensation.

Their website is very misleading then, which gives you more leverage?

http://www.amblecliff.co.uk/room-suite.html

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: False Information

Quality - While I have at the moment no doubts as to the authenticity of your review, the fact that this is your first post on TA, and is a bad one against a particular establishment, might lead some to assume that you are a rival business or have a grudge.

Much better if you post back answering Stoofer's points.

If not we can only assume....................................... Others please take note.

JtheD

Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: False Information

Yes, I reported it to the Brighton Tourism Office, but as far as I know no action has been taken.

Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: False Information

Jon-the-Dog

If you have doubts as to the validity of my comment, try checking out the latest review In TripAdvisor. This endorses much of what I imply.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: False Information

Sounds like this place needs looking into but I can't comment on it personally other than to post a simple message to any visitor.

YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER, you have to be a bit aggresive at times and demand your rights. If you were promised en-suite and it wasn't, your first port of call was to the manager immediately to demand move or compensation, if they reject your complaint then you go to authorities. Unfortunately if you live out of the country, going to authorities is often fruitless (often is here to) except for satisfaction of hurting the business.

Whenever I've been aggrieved at a hotel, I complain bitterly on arrival and advise that I shall report them, post negative reviews etc. etc. I'm also thick skinned enough to stand in reception and tell them I'm not moving until they either do something or call the police. As long as you are telling the truth that's within your rights. Making this clear to a manager often results in them assisting you on site to avoid fuss and trouble later. If you are a soft target some won't help you, sadly that's how it is. In theory the total rip-off places should not be in business but some slip through 'the net'.

For you it's too late, Quality, but I wonder did you pay by credit card? The card company may be able to help you????

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: False Information

> you have to be a bit aggresive at times and demand your rights <

I think being aggressive is both ill advised and unacceptable.

Assertion is what is required.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: False Information

Well, at times when you're knocked back having been ripped-off, an aggresive stance is fine (I did say a bit aggresive) in the context of being unfriendly.

I'm not condoning any 'action' if it reads that way, so yes perhaps I used the wrong word if you want to disect it literally.

I think my point was clear - it's fruitless to accept a situation and complain after the event so try and complain immediately and stand your ground

until you are sure you're getting nowhere.

Welcome to Brighton forum, Nick.:-)

Stoofer

9. Re: False Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:15