We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Momma Cherris is no more

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Momma Cherris is no more

Another one bites the dust I'm afraid. What a shame, this restaurant, famously visited by Gordon Ramsey had such great potential. Serving a unique cuisine in Brighton is an achievement in itself. We ate there before she moved sites, just after Gordon had been. We had fun, different, tasty food in nice but small surroundings, served by Momma with a big smile. When the restaurant was moved up the road, we returned and it was a very different kettle of fish. The welcome was from someone who must have been a victorian head mistress in another life, the food quality was miserable, the service erratic, and there were no finger bowls for messy food such as ribs! When we asked one young waitress to supply a fingerbowl, she had no idea what we were talking about. We didn't return. Subsequently, the reviews from brighton-eating.com were 99% negative and it's demise was only a matter of time.

Reading the write up in the Leader, it doesn't appear that Momma realises what went wrong, and she is intending to start again. I wish her all the luck in the future; she seems a really nice person. However, if she doesn't use a decent chef, serves up the same double fried, oily food prepared earlier in the day that was reported in the reviews, it won't work! I wish she had read the reviews; she might still have been trading now, if she'd addressed the problems stated therein.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

I saw the Argus covered this story last week too.

theargus.co.uk/news/…

theargus.co.uk/search/…

It had closed then re-opened previously (her daughter took it over a couple of yrs back i think), i walked past a week ago and noticed the signs on the door that it had closed for good - No loss to Brighton that's for sure IMO!!

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

I think it may well have been Momma's daughter that gave us such a chilly reception on our last visit!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

I agree, this was a case of a golden opportunity squandered. All that great publicity, one of the few restaurants on his K.N. program where Ramsay actually praised the original food without critic.

I think it all went to the ladies head as she appeared to become a 'celebrity' over-night and went OTT but without the food and service, a restaurant will still fail. She needed some better chefs and more respect for her customers, the pre-frying and storing of chicken was disgusting and unecessary, customer service left a lot to be desired.

Stoofer

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Hhmmm yep, I remember the programme well & she was certainly a character - fantastic hosting skills and great home cook maybe but restaurateur, I rather think not. It was all over the place really, wasn't it! We walked past maybe a month after the show with intentions for lunch but it was heaving .... as I understood it, the bit of publicity & dollar signs made her move to a bigger premises & from there it all went straight down the pan - as Bo mentioned, I thought it went under ages ago. We had the same 'shall we, shan't we' when walking past Loves & I believe he went under a few weeks after - as have most that have featured on the programmes I believe ;)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Nice to see you here, Stooge :-)

Re your last comment on the Ramsay programs and following failures, IMHO invariably because for some reason they mostly retained the same chefs and/or managers that displayed terrible conduct when he arrived. From terrible cooking to poor hygiene and food prep. yet they retained their jobs. Along with his re-vamps and recommendations should have been new key staff as some of what went on in his programs was unforgivable and clear negligence IMO.

Certainly I was put of visiting the likes of Love's due to kitchen conduct.

Stoofer

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Stoofer :) In many instances the biggest goose was the owner & then what are you going to do? I read something ages ago about The Curse of Ramsey (!) & I don't think there was a single place that was a success story, or at least not for long. But then, I supposed they picked the biggest & bolshiest **-up's in the name of good telly - Mr Love being a prize catch! And not one of them had the slightest clue about running a business - poor Momma Cherie was a bit too nice for her own good.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Yep, agreed. Though I do remember several owners being loyal to a chef when they should have been shown the door immediately - hay ho!

Still, Brighton is still on the up from an already very high foodie position. People here have choice so can vote with their feet, that tends to create an improvement circle resulting in even better food and prices from new establishments :-)

Stoofer

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Also in total agreement Stooghinho. If a business is failing, and you have the golden opportunity of receiving advice from an expert for free (and getting free publicity at the same time), then why on earth don't you take it? Have caught myself shouting at the tv screen when yet another person with blinkers on refuses to change what is obviously radically wrong. Talk about an exercise in futility! I'm not a huge fan of Gordon Ramsey - seems to have tied himself up in knots recently, but he can't be blamed for these kitchen nightmare failures.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

Mmmm, maybe not quite as cut & dried as that I suspect. Not to be *too* cynical about it, (but I am rather suspicious of the editing on these types of shows) I can't help thinking that the absolute clangers are picked out of goodness knows how many that apply, simply because they make good television. Even with a bottomless pot of cash & a complete overhaul with staff, the ones picked are never going to make it work because they are clueless in business & have some sort of romantic notion about what being a restaurateur entails - instead of recognising that it's the most competitive & labour intensive business they could have possibly picked. Good bit of telly though, I'll give it that ;-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Momma Cherris is no more

On this subject, there was interesting comment on Nerja forum (spain) regarding La Parra restaurant, Ramsay was in Nerja for a K.N. show couple years ago. English chef/owner called Lawrence, maybe you guys saw the show?

I know Nerja very well and actually saw Ramsay in Nerja in what must have been a pre-visit. You are right about the editing as the openeer to Nerja showed lots of English breakfast places and wasn't even shot in Nerja, it was for dramatic effect.

Anyway, a thread started regarding the program and Lawrence joined in the TA discussions while he was still in business trying to turn it around. A couple of things he said where like that song? Things that make you go Hummmmm :-)

Look it up on the search facility if interested.

Stoofer

Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations