We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel restaurant for special occasion

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Topic
Hotel restaurant for special occasion

I have in mind a family gathering of 8-9 people at a hotel restaurant for my wife's x0th birthday. She's born and bred in Brighton and has never experienced dining at one of the grand hotels on the seafront so this is going to be a surprise.

The question is ... which hotel restaurant do you reckon best fits the bill in terms of location (seafront), good food, style and atmosphere?

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

i don't think any of the Btn Hotel restaurants are worth going to these days (maybe with the exception of Blanch House?). You'll get better food elsewhere in Brighton. But it depends what you're after, how much you want to spend, and if you're after that grand hotel experience.

Maybe someone with a recent good experience can recommend?

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

Well I'm thinking of giving my wife the grand hotel experience and if the food is reasonably good and priced that'll be good. At the moment only the Grand Hotel comes to mind so any tips/advice will be appreciated.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

In the past I've eaten at most of the major seafront hotels, and i wouldn't go back to any of them!

I took afternoon Tea at the Grand last month, and wasn't impressed with the food at all. Ambiance, for that old world charm was good tho, service less so. Bit if its more of a traditional experience, rather than a modern contemporary feeling, go for the Grand. For better seafront-beach views maybe, go to the Thistle, or the Royal Albion.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

I'm with Bo; the seafront hotels will give you location, but not good food or style. Hotel du Vin's bistro is pretty good, but you don't get a view.

As it happens, the one grand hotel with good food is the Grand in Eastbourne. The Mirabelle in the hotel sounds like what you're looking for. Brighton has some great restaurants, but the package you're looking for - seafront view, good food, style - doesn't exist here yet, IMO.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
930 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

I've read positives about the Eastbourne Grand, wish that was transported to Brighton. Sea view is not that important, its just that she used to walk along the Brighton sea fron passing these traditional grand hotels many times so it would be fitting to go to one of these grands. The lack of positives in terms of food, etc., is the stumbling block it seems.

Brighton
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

I'd have to agree with the other postings on here, and advise you to steer clear of seafront hotel restaurants!! You will have a lovely view over the sea at them, but that's about all you'd get. I've eaten in most of them during my time in Brighton, and in my opinion, the food is second rate. A lot of the hotels seem to rely on their position on the seafront to bring customers in, but do very little in the way of decent food. I've eaten at the Grand a few times (glutton for punishment??) always thinking that the food/meal choices will improve, but sadly, they never do. The only exception to this was a Christmas party night which I attended last year, but this isn't much help to you! Always avoid the afternoon tea at the Grand - a HUGELY overrated and disappointing experience in every respect. I would agree with the recommendations of Blanch House and Hotel du Vin, incredible dining experiences with wonderful staff and superb menu, but you then sacrifice the sea view. There is a FABULOUS restaurant on the lower level of the seafront called 'Due South' which is very difficult to get a reservation for, but for the standard of food, innovative menu and wonderful sea views, it really is worth trying!

7. Re: Hotel restaurant for special occasion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:17