We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

Petawawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

If a restaurant manager takes your coat, should you assume that the restaurant has a responsibility to return it to you? Is this too much to ask? He took the coat, but when it went missing, claimed it was of no fault of the restaurant....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

It's your responsibility to look after your property and not give it to strangers.

Best to keep it within sight.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

It's the same all over the world, I'm afraid. Restaurants assume no liability for anything lost or stolen.

Just out of interest, what restaurant was this? Did the manager make any attempt to help, or did he just shrug it off?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

I'd say there is an *expectation* to get it back but no *responsibility*

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

I;d agree with theartgirl - it's how they dealt with the situation that is quite important. Was the manager sympathetic?

And, does any restaurant, anywhere, take responsibility for coats?

Naming the restaurant might cause people to boycott it, if you want some revenge....

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,636 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

The restaurant has a duty to look after your coat, but as a 'gratuitous bailee' that duty isn't very onerous at all.

Paid-for cloakrooms at theatres etc usually have a ticket system to prevent coats being given to the wrong person, because if they accept money for the service then they have a greater duty of care.

However unless you actually saw a restaurant employee hot-footing it down the street with your apparel to the local Cash4Coats you probably don't have much claim against the restaurant.

There is a known scam where someone who *looks* like a restaurant manager 'helpfully' collects your coats and then disappears

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

Well, it's true that you're responsible for your own properties, not anyone else, like the above said, however, if a restaurant manager offers to take care of your coat, he's the one who is responsible for returning it to you upon your request, IMHO.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

What restaurant is this?

I'm not sure the answers about no liability are correct in every situation, if the manager specificaly requested your coat without you asking, and you can prove it, I'd say the restaurant is liable if you want to force the issue.

Are there signs advising no responsibility?

Many restaurants don't want coats in the dining area, so do assume a duty of care. In many cases they will need signs on display to advise no responsibility. Each case will be different.

Stoofer

Petawawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

I really appreciate your thoughtful response (and others too). Since Trip Advisor rules prohibit attempting to set forth an embargo on an establishment, I won't bother with the details of the place except to say its a fish place in the lanes. In the future, will keep our coats with us during a meal out as the majority of commentors strongly suggested. We may, as suggested, use a dedicated, secure cloakroom which issues a claim number and claim check when taking an item from a patron. Many thanks for your honest input. Lesson learned, if the Manager (really, the Manager) asks for your coat, ask him if he will buy you a new one if it turns up missing after he takes it from you... the answer to that will be "well, no", thus the answer to the first question will be "no thanks" .

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

You haven't told us how the manager dealt with the issue.

I would have been angry with him. What was his excuse?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coat Check? Is there an expectation to get it back?

Please at least let us know what restaurant it was, if only to give others a heads-up. No embargo, just balanced discussion about what happened and how it was handled. Honest!