We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gars Chinese Restaurant

Gatwick
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gars Chinese Restaurant

Hi Staying in Brighton for a weekend in July for husbands b-day, does anyone know if Gars restaurant in the lanes is any good for a romantic meal in teh evening.?

Thanks x

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Not the kind of place (esp at weekends) that i would choose for a romantic meal, its very "lively" around there, as its close to a number of busy bars.

I'd recom somewhere else, but is it only Chinese food you're after?

Gatwick
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Hi

No I am happy for any suggestion, just though Chinese as we dont have it often, although its busy is the food nice there & worth the money? any other suggestions on places would be good, we like most foods. We are staying at Brighton Pavilions if thats helps.

Thanks Nat x

Edited: 11 June 2010, 08:34
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

I'm old school, i tend to gravitate to Preston St for a Chinese, China Garden has been good for me on many many occasions going back many yrs!. And there are many other options for eats in this street too, so i would recom you take a wander and see which is the busier, and has the most Chinese people eating in it, as that's indicative

Many on here will recom either Graze or Gingerman for a "special" meal, prob two of the best the town has to offer (they're not Chinese food tho)

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

As well as the places Bo mentioned, there's Havana in Duke's Lane and The Meadow in Palmeira Square (Hove), a couple of blocks from Graze (Graze and The Meadow are both easily accessed by bus). The Meadow in particular is a favourite of mine, and I've celebrated many a birthday there (both mine and others'). :-)

http://www.themeadowrestaurant.co.uk/

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

If you eat somewhere other that Chinese for your husband's b-day, you must squeeze in if you can a visit to China China in Preston St. Not the place for a romantic meal, granted, it's a bit of an in - out affair, but the food is fantastic (and cheap), the service is great, and every time I've been there (loads) the Chinese people dining there have always outnumbered everyone else . I think it's the best Chinese food in Brighton/Hove. It is cash only though.

You could always get a takeaway from there on your way out of Brighton and eat it when you get home!!!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Can I also suggest Jade Garden on Western Road (Hove end) we have been here a few times and the food is great. It is as much as you can eat, price 13.95 pp. but with a difference, the food is not set out, you order it and they cook it for you, you can order as much as you want and as often as you want (but dont leave any as they tend to put a charge on excess waste I´m told) Nice setting friendly staff too. Lots of Chinese people eating there everytime we go.

Gatwick
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Thanks for all the idea's i am going to look through them and see what i fancy. Have come across a restaurant on the marina Brighton Pagoda does anyone know if this is any good? if so i might head there for a evening as the marina has a few bars & resturants there. any suggestions on the marina?

Thanks Nat x

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Food used to be good, but Pagoda went downhill a bit a few years ago, not been back since.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

I wouldn't recommend Jade either - used to be very good, but last time we visited, the food was indifferent and so was the service. We were also the only ones in there, and it was freezing!!!

Haven't been to China Garden for many moons, so interested to read that Bojangles gives it a thumbs up. Must say, when they were on form it was great. I still miss Sun Bo Seng that was in East Street - think it's now Indian Summer - 99% great food with a terrifyingly efficient head waitress that always made us giggle at her stern countenance and manner! Think she must have come straight out of the army ;-)

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gars Chinese Restaurant

Thats surprising, we went to Jade last week and all 9 of us said how fab it was. The staff were really friendly especially the boss(!) woman (well she was telling all the staff what to do , so I assume she was in charge) Been going here for a few years now and never had a bad one yet. But I suppose everywhere has a few off times. Sorry pearlpoppy.