We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Well I was planning on fishing at the Marina this Sunday but I've just seen on BBC news this morning that the London to Brighton bike ride is being held. Does it have much effect on traffic flow in Brighton? Does it impact on the Marina at all, or does it affect the town centre more?

Thank you in advance.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Hi Canucks - I should have put 2 and 2 together when I saw your earlier post as I'll be one of the 27,000 plus causing some traffic grief ;-)

It'll be ok if you're planning on coming down earlyish (arriving before 12 say) The bike route is on closed country roads until it hits Brighton where it shares the roads with regular traffic starting at the A270 / Coldean lane junction and going straight down to the seafront. The masses don't start hitting town til around 2.00pm, and tho there are always a few lycra clad nutters with skinny tyres in as early as 9.00am they are few and far between.

Best route to Marina on the day - A23 to Brighton bypass then A27 east towards Lewes. Exit at university then B2123 to Woodingdean. There may be a queue at the lights here but its the best option IMO. Turn right at these lights ouside the Downs hotel and then after a mile or so left at the next set which will take you down Wilson Ave straight into the marina.

Reverse of same route back on return.

JtheD

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

yeah spot on JtD, or alternatively, instead of turning right at the Downs Hotel In Woody, drive on down to the pretty picturesque village of Rottingdean and head for a lovely old fisherman pub, then a cream tea for afters, and finish off wish a wander daan on the beach, scrub the fish'n!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Just back from town centre - Old Steine will be closed from junction of Church street to Pier roundabout. Avoid this area at all costs.

JtheD

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Thank you very much, I'm hoping to be at the Marina by about 1230 so hopefully I'll miss the worst of it. I'll follow the route you've suggested, many thanks, and enjoy your bike ride. :-)

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

I don't think "Enjoy" is the right word - "Endure" maybe:-) But I'll try to do both. Thanks all the same. Have a good day.

JtheD

Edited: 19 June 2010, 22:31
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

Just back from Brighton, the route down to the marina was awful from the A23 onwards causing a 1 hour delay getting down there, but that's my fault for picking probably the worst day to do it! Easy route to follow though and I'll use it again. Thanks for your help JtD. I'll also respond on my original thread re the parking situation etc. Hope your cycling went well.

7. Re: London-Brighton bike ride - Roads closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:18