We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New brasserie in town!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
New brasserie in town!

Cote Brasserie opens its door to the public on Monday 19th, opp the Corn Exchange in Church St, just down from the Wagon & Pompoko etc; popped my head in this afternoon, and it looks very impressive, French brasserie style, they've spent a fortune in décor and fittings no doubt, and i liked the look of the menu very much; right up my street, and a welcome addition to the Brighton eats scene. I hope it does well.

www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/Cote_Brighton.html

Brighton
Level Contributor
225 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New brasserie in town!

On the subject of brasseries, I had a particularly good lunch at Brasserie Pascal in Hove the other day. I can especially recommend the navarin of lamb for just £7.50 on their lunch menu. I'm told Sunday lunches are good there as well.

With Graze, Meadow and the Ginger Pig, we're pretty well off for restaurants down our end of the city these days.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New brasserie in town!

Yum. I like the look of the menu too. Definitely my cup of tea.

In other news, there's a new café in Gloucester Road called Seasons. Had lunch there yesterday - very good indeed. Only drawback is that on Saturdays they don't start lunch until 1pm (small kitchen means it's either brekkie or lunch; never both). But our food was delicious, and the desserts were terrific, all made by the same chef: rare to find someone who can handle both mains and desserts so well. Several wines on offer by the half bottle, which was appreciated.

http://www.seasonscafe.co.uk/

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New brasserie in town!

@tag, small world (as always in Btn)...i walked past Seasons whilst you where in there then!, was gonna grab a table outside (wasn't sure if they were theirs or the café's on the opp corner, who's name escapes me! but it was very busy, with a bunch of Euro students on some kinda city tour.

I'm sure I've been to Seasons before, maybe in its previous incarnation and had cream tea there, maybe last autumn as i recall.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New brasserie in town!

O_o

@bo, I was sitting outside at first myself, but it was so windy, and the seagulls were so bold (one actually flew onto the table next to me but one when someone was eating), that we moved inside. I was sitting in the window though - wish I'd seen you.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New brasserie in town!

This is as good a place as any to mention that you can vote for your favourites in the Brighton & Hove Foodie Awards!

http://www.brightonfoodawards.com/

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New brasserie in town!

They have certainly made a good job of this. It looks really nice. It was packed yesterday evening too.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New brasserie in town!

I was very exited to see Cote Brasserie opening in Brighton. French Bistro style food is my absolute favourite, and something I think Brighton has been missing. Sure there's Hotel Du Vin (a little pricey for regular use), Pascals (too far into Hove if you're in town) & La Fourchette (again a little dear for frequent use and).

The building is beautiful and I have always thought it a shame that it has not been used. Cote have done it proud with their refurb, it is airy and inviting without being a too overwhelming space, quite a skill considering the size.

The menu has plenty of choice, we went for lunch. The staff were very attentive and friendly. Our party of 3 spent £103 on lunch (with only 2 glasses of wine). I would say for the price the food was average. I had foie gras, which was tastey, the brioche nice, but no garnish or chutney/compote. My partner had scallops which were passable (@ £7.95!) it all seemed a little lazy.

My main course was a 10oz rib eye (£14.95) ordered rare, came medium with a side of Bernaise (an extra £1.95) and a small portion of chips. The steak was cooked incorrectly, and relatively chewy. It was seasoned well though. The salad garnish was undressed, the whole dish was again, a little lazy.

Both my diners had the fish parmentier, exceptionally rich and lacking any other flavour than fish. I know that sounds odd but there was no flavour to the sauce or potatoes. It was a poor execution of a fish pie basically.

Ultimately and unfortunately this place at the moment is style over substance, it looks great the menu sounds right but it just isn't there. Maybe it will improve with time, but another average experience at more than £30 with 12.5% service added (without alcohol) will put me off for life. At present there are many other venues offering better food at similar or lower prices al over Brighton.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New brasserie in town!

thks PB, interesting review; and very disappointing to read, as i was hoping to go there in a couple of wks for a special meal with family, I'm re-considering that now!

But as its only been open a week, if we're being generous, you could say that there's room for improvement. I think you ought to email them your review and see how customer feedback focussed they are.

When you said "at present there are many other venues offering better food at similar or lower prices al over Brighton" - care to name a few??!! as I'm struggling for a reliable fair priced eaterie these days!

Edited: 29 July 2010, 08:12
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New brasserie in town!

Just got back from a wonderful birthday dinner at Côte. All of us had the special menu (served from 12pm to 7pm; incredible value at just under £12 for 3 courses). We all commented on how terrific the food was: most of us had a spinach salad with Roquefort, walnuts, and crispy leeks to start, but one of us had the smoked mackerel with herbs, and said it was delicious. For mains, our party had roast seabass, roasted breaded chicken breast with Provençale sauce, and steak frites, and all were great. The fries were perfect - having just returned from Belgium (land of fab fries), I've gotten spoilt, but these were double-fried the Belgian way and were gobbled up in a flash. For dessert, we all had either chocolate pot or ice cold berries with white chocolate sauce. With two bottles of wine, a cocktail, and some extras, as well as the 12.5% added service charge, the bill came to £30 each.

I will definitely return. Especially if they keep that special 3-course £11.90 menu (£9.95 for two courses). Service was very good, and very friendly, btw.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New brasserie in town!

Well, we thought we'd try Cote for a late lunch yesterday. Popped in and asked if they could phone us when the window table was available, which was going to be about half an hour to three quarters. As we never received the promised phone call, we trotted off to try the Sabai Thai as we'd meant to try this place for ages. Had a very nice meal - £6.95 for two courses, a lovely bottle of Phillipe de Rothschild red and the meal came to about £28.00 for two. No service charge was added, a very pleasant change for Brighton, and better than the 12.5% I notice Cote are charging. I hasten to add we did leave a tip :-)