We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet pubs on a Satruday

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Quiet pubs on a Satruday

Hi

Me and a group are coming down to Brighton for the day on a Saturday early afternoon in May and wanted to know of some pubs that won't be that busy or packed around that time. There will be around 10 of us and arriving at the train station and fancy a drink and something to eat before we head around the town.

Thx

Edited: 30 April 2011, 23:17
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

loads to chose from, but the thing is, the good pubs will all be busy!

If you wanna stay close-ish to the station before heading down further into town, i'd recom any of the following, all within 10-15min walk of the station, off the beaten path so to speak. but not that far off.

* Duke of Wellington - Upper Gloucester Rd

* The Eddy (opp the Welly)

* Sussex Yeoman (Guildford Rd)

* Foundry (Pedestrians Arms) in Foundry St

* 3 Jolly Butchers (top of North Rd)

* Heart In Hand just down the road.

so now you'll be in the North Laine, area, so head for the Dorset (corner of Gardner St), & you'll find loads of places to eat and sit out around here and Kensington Gdns, then into Bond St, North St & across into the Lanes, head for the Bath Arms, or the Font.

I could go on.....

Edited: 01 May 2011, 00:13
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

Another pub to add to Bo's list: The Earth and Stars, on the corner of Church Street and Windsor Street.

Bear in mind, though, that the Brighton Festival is on in May, with open houses all over town on the weekends, so the city isn't exactly quiet.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

If any of your party like real ale and/or real cider, you should try "The Evening Star" about a minute from the station. It's not an obvious location (there's a "private" shop, a place selling cardboard coffins and a bookies in the same road, and not much else) but it's a great pub with the divine Dark Star beers much in evidence. I find the location keeps it a little less busy than it might be otherwise.

Try this pub guide : s106023464.websitehome.co.uk/pubbri.html

Mike

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

Thanks for the replies everyone!. I had a look at some of the suggestions and i like the Eddy & Foundry.

As we are coming on the Saturday just worried that they may be quite busy with the football on as there's a few matches on the same day. I'm not that fussed but some of our group are not that great in busy pubs you see.

What do people think of the Queens Head, Battle of Trafalgar & Caxton Arms?

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

Brighton have played their last game of the season at home. If you're worried about TV football, then the obvious answer is to find a pub without a TV ! The Evening Star fits that bill, but I'm not going to flog a dead horse...

To be honest, a pub that is almost empty on a Saturday afternoon may well not be a very good pub. You might be lucky - but I'd stick with the suggestions that have been made.

Mike

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

The Queens Hd is right outside the Stn, so always busy. Id swerve.

Spoilt for choice. The Evening Star is a gr8 busy pub with a loyal real ale following. Dont think ive ever been past when its not been full and overflowing!

7. Re: Quiet pubs on a Satruday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 01:16