We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Express Coach to Hickstead

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
National Express Coach to Hickstead

I will be staying in Brighton for a few days this July, and would like to take the National Express coach to Hickstead for the Longines Royal International Horse Show. I am planning to go on the 19th and 20th of July. I can find the ticket on the National Express site, but I am unsure if I have to buy the tickets in advance or not. It appears that I am locked into a certain time if I do, and I'd rather not be.

There seems to be a coach every 15-30 min, so I'd rather just see which one works out on the day. I can see a way to buy an open return on the site, so if I have to choose an outgoing coach, I guess that would be my best option, as the return will be the hardest to predict, I think.

If I don't buy in advance, where do I buy the ticket? From the driver? The fares seem about the same when I put in my actual dates or today's date.

I've never used National Express before, and when I search I mostly get information about the airport buses.

Thanks for your help!

london
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Express Coach to Hickstead

Hi bgtm

yes, you can buy tickets from the driver

https:/…pay_the_driver

unless there is a ticket office in Brighton, which I'm not sure about

the only problem would be if the coach were full

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Express Coach to Hickstead

Aha - so you went for the Brighton option then ? ;-)

Other people may have the same idea to stay there and travel up and no doubt a few locals will be going too. So the coach might be busy. Were it me, I'd book for day one to be on the safe side and if ok, be more flexible on day two.

Mike

(Raises bat to polite applause from pavilion)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: National Express Coach to Hickstead

I would think there would be no problem in just turning up for the return coach - it will have been dropping off passengers from London or Gatwick en route and I doubt it will pick up many

There's also a rather infrequent local bus:

metrobus.co.uk/download/…

on which you certainly cannot book - just pay the driver

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Express Coach to Hickstead

Thanks for the help.

Yes, Mike, I decided I might as well see Brighton. It's been sort of in the middle of my day trip list for awhile anyway. The closest I've been to the coast in England is Dover Castle (although we did do a hack on horseback on the beach in Wales a few years ago), so this will be a nice change.

I suppose the tickets aren't that expensive, so if I booked in advance and then wanted a different coach I could just buy another ticket from the driver.

Thanks for the link to the FAQs. I looked through them but missed that one. Also thanks for the link to the local bus. I tried the Stagecoach website and none of their buses seemed to go there. Local buses are hard to figure out from over here without some direction to look in, I've found.

5. Re: National Express Coach to Hickstead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:43