We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and Ride: ripped off??

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Park and Ride: ripped off??

The advertised park and ride seems to be basically a car park attached to a leisure centre from which you catch the standard bus from outside. It cost us £4.40 EACH and then the bus went all round the houses, including picking up about 30 school children on the way.

Really Brighton: is this the best you can do??

30 replies to this topic
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

Maybe they should take a look at the Canterbury system that we always use and is IMO very good and really discourages cars from driving into the centre.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

On the other hand you could pay for parking in the centre of Brighton. Park and ride would seem a bargain.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

That does seem expensive, more than Cambridge at £2.25 a person and depending on the number of people a taxi might be cheaper than the bus.

Havant, England...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

You can get a 2.20 pound return ticket. But u can hop on and off the buses when u want to for 4.40pound and if u really want to drive and find a car park go for it I don't think its to bad

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

The £4.40 ticket is valid all day on all buses in Brighton. Compared to the cost of on-street or NCP parking in Brighton (which at last visit was roughly £5 per hour in the Laines NCP) I think the Park and Ride is pretty good unless you're a big group of people.

For comparison, in Oxford, parking at the P&R is £1.70, plus £2.70 return on the bus (valid on that bus only, not a day pass). Which adds up to £4.40...

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

Agreed: I live in Canterbury and with 3 park and rides and a good bus network there is no reason to drive into the city centre.

Driffield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

I agree! Most cities have a well signposted Park and ride system, where there is a large car park, with a toilet block and obvious bus stop. Brighton has a poorly sign posted car park that belongs to a sports complex. It was full when we arrived and we struggled to find a space. Once we had a space we found the bus stop - on a residential road nearby, we then as others have said had a bus ride on a suburban bus into town. There was no defined place to get on or off as there is normally and we kept stopping for more passengers unlike a normal park and ride bus. Train wasn't an option as we were tourists to the area. Still cheaper than parking in the centre, but not a park and ride!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

The Lanes car park is cheaper on weekdays than at weekends. It is £5 for 2 hours on weekdays and (I think) £2 for 1 hour. After 2 hours the price really starts to shoot up.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
994 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

I have been saying since it opened thatThe Amex car park should be used as a P+R

Seeing as the Uni busses go past it, seems ideal.

Brighton, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Park and Ride: ripped off??

You can get a family day ticket for £9 which is valid for 2 adults and up to 3 children.

Hope this helps.

Reply to: Park and Ride: ripped off??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted