We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Pubs In Brighton

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Best Pubs In Brighton

I am doing an article on the 10 Best Pubs in Brighton. It's a tough choice with over 900 to choose from. I'm going for nice pubs - not bars and ideally traditional type with good beer/food/atmos

So far my short list is: The Bath Arms, The Fortune of War (simply because of the beach), The Lion & Lobster, The Wick Inn, Basketmarkers Arms, Shakespeare's Head, The Windmill

Everyone's thoughts please - thanks.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

Don't think I've ever made it into Waldron, Mike. It looks like a nice pub and the sort we frequent in West Sussex. Locally to me The Red Lion Arundel is fairly safe for steaks and pork belly, £12 - £15 with all trimmings, 'proper' chef, great Arundel Butchers meat, if you have deeper pockets in The Welldiggers just outside Petworth is a south downs institution. We digress and move off topic I guess but such tips are good, thanks.

I suppose a good pub at the station will do very well but expect many locals and regular visitors like me will still prefer their favourites in North Laines and close by timing their last drink to avoid hanging around the station to meet or waiting for their train, so not sure I'll ever try the new one. Especially if they are out to attract thespians, I'm cringing with you Littlelamb. To be, or not to be a proper pub, that is the question, alas poor traditional pubs, I knew them well.

Stoofer

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

It's not often a post makes me laugh so thanks for that Stoofer. I guess I can imagine a group of friends meeting at the new station pub before a trip but it's hard to picture making it an evening's destination when you think what's on offer nearby. On the other hand, the Open House and the Signalman are both there because of London Road station originally but very few of their punters are catching a train now.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

:-)............. I think it was Samuel Beckett who asked: 'What is that unforgettable pub?" ;-)

Good point about station pubs though, maybe this new one will become a Brighton institution, time will tell.

Stoofer

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

We are visiting Brighton staying in Montpelier Road. Most days we will be coming from the train station and will have tea before heading back to our B & B. Would prefer something like the lion that is mentioned here. Any suggestions that would be close to where we are staying or on the way from train station to Montpelier Road

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

Where are you staying? The Lion and Lobster is just off Montepelier Road, Sillwood st, look at the seafront and 100yds up Montpelier you'lll see the pub in a side street off to your left.

Stoofer

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

We are staying In Whitburn Lodge B & B.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

Great location. And from your back garden you can probably see the roof terrace of Lion and Lobster, you are actually only 6 larges houses away - maybe 50 - 60 yds away from this pub!

Turn right outside the door, immediately on the right you'll see the pub 50 yds down. On a fine evening try upstairs.

Looks like you are sorted for pub dinners, they could throw chips to your B & B ;-)

Stoofer

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

Maybe they could do room service for us!!

Sussex
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

In reply to POST # 4

That would likely be - The Open House

146 Springfield Rd, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 6BZ

Good food too. Family friendly.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 17:08
1 post
Save Reply
50. Re: Best Pubs In Brighton

The Lord Nelson Inn has just been renovated. It's got a really good menu using local free range meats, fish and produce, local ales and they're a nice bunch behind the bar. Traditional Brighton boozer near the station in the North Laine :-)