We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodie notes on Bellota

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Foodie notes on Bellota

Hi Guys

I've not been around much lately, not been in UK for months and not Brighton this year. However I know some foodie regulars here so thought I'd share tips from last bank holiday weekend where I found myself in Brighton.

Walked past what used to be La Tasca and surprised (I'm out of touch) to see it had changed to a tapas and cava bar called Bellota, must have been quite recently. Say no more, the sun was shining so we grabbed an outside seat, I have to say the furniture is not very comfortable and they could do with some shades but we enjoyed some drinks.

Ordered pig Cheeks - Excellent

Montego chese with honey - nice combo

The Iberian ham 'plank' consisted of chorizo, 3 hams and some sausage.

Anchovies

Mixed breads with oil and Bas. vin

Have to say impressed, it's a sort of gourmet tapas bar with some good dishes, pigs cheeks and the like specialties I've not seen elsewhere in Brighton.

We were eating elsewhere, old favourites but fro the small amount we tried I'd recommend Bellota's and will be back. Good wine, fino and cava selections, San Miguel and Estrella beer on tap. If the sun is shining then grab a table,what's not to like.

Stoofer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

Have you noticed another Foodilic opening? Western Rd, opposite KFC, adjacent to McDonalds!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

Bellota is handy if you are waiting for the bus!

What I don't uderstand is why they need to have Spanish music played outside the bar at night. Must be very irritating fopr the people who live above the place.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

I haven't Bo, not been in the city for a while and this time hung around North Laines and The Lanes area in my usual old haunts. I know Foodilic is doing well but not so sure about Little Bay as it's been slated here as not very good and mixed reviews. It's a budget place for sure but IMO always value and won't suit everyone. I'm an ilic fan as he's from Belgrade with some good restaurants that I've used over the years, I admire what he's achieved and as an innovator in London, I guess some you get some right and some you don't but I wish him well. Is it exactly the same as North St.?

Domingo. I think music goes with the territory, used to be the same under La Tasca, you have rooms above restaurants without expecting that IMO, I'm all for it, sit outside with some background music, still not enough of that in the U.K. IMO. It didn't seem overly loud when we were there but ?

Stoofer

Edit.P.S. I notice some reviews linking Bellota with La TAsca still but it's a different animal, far more authentic in produce and presentation.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 08:56
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

Bellota is amazing. The food is a much higher standard than it was when it was La Tasca. I've never been a fan of Champagne but am a big fan of Cava now. However, someone did point out it was probably because I was drinking cheap Champagne!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

Actually, Rob, some Cavas (and some Proseccos) are better than Champagne. Cava IS Champagne - it's the same grape, but Cava can't be called Champagne because it isn't made in Champagne itself.

Anyway, now I'm keen to try Bellota!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

Yep Rob, Champagne only tastes better than Cava when someone else is paying ;-)

I think AOC does tend to confuse when it comes to quality, as Artgirl says it's a question of geographics and name, not necessarily quality. Just like Parma ham is often not as good as various cheaper iberico hams from Spain.

In Bellota as well as good low cost cava I also noticed a good red from La Mancha at a decent price. As with Champagne & Cava compare L. M. with Rioja, quite possibly the same vines almost in the next field. If you like typical red Rioja look for any L.M wines using predominantly tempranillo for a cheaper version. Ole Ole in the lanes has a really nice house red that is a good example of that scenario, just ask for their house tempranillo and you won't be disappointed - hic!

Sorry to bore some I expect, food and wine is one of my favourite subjects.

Let us know if you enjoy Bellota. Artgirl, on sunny day it's a nice option on the terrace IMO

Stoofer

Edited: 14 May 2013, 19:20
7. Re: Foodie notes on Bellota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:16