We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

San Diego...
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

Spending 2 weeks in Brighton starting Jan 24. I've been looking at train options for some day trips out of town and also bus options for trips around town and the surrounding area. In looking at the Brighton and Hove Bus website it appears that the 7 day saver fare is the way to go. As I understand it I can get on and off the bus in town and it will also get me out to Lewes, Rottingdean and Eastbourne. Are there other plus or minus issues related to the 7 day saver? Are there other deals that include additional bus lines that would get me to other surrounding cities? Thanks for your assistance.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

Hi - first thing to say is that there are no "surrounding cities" (assuming you mean cities) as Sussex is essentially still a fairly rural county with towns and villages. Even Chichester feels more like a town than a city.

If the bus will take you all the way to Eastbourne, then that's great - you can hike the Seven Sisters should it ever stop raining (ha !). But the pass will be of less use on any days you remain in Central Brighton (unless you're staying out of the centre, you don't say) or when going to London.

You could perhaps get a bus ticket for week one and a Southern Rover ticket for the trains for week 2. That would be pricier, but would allow you to explore Portsmouth, Fishbourne, Bosham, Chichester, Arundel, Hastings and Rye. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Mike

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

Can you let us know where you're staying ?

Edited: 04 January 2014, 07:12
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

The Brighton and Hove buses are both extensive and expensive (especially for shorter journeys) and the 7 day saver offers excellent value if you plan to do lots of exploring in the city away from the main centre (and there are interesting things to see away from the main centre including Preston Manor, Hove museum, some of the regency squares and larger parks), they are also useful as starting points for walking trips in the downs (most of the fringe areas of the city have walking paths into the downs). Generally for further afield trips the train is significantly faster and not significantly more expensive - Lewes can be 12 mines by train but up to an hour by bus from the centre in bad traffic, Eastbourne can take up to 2 hours by bus compared with just over half an hour by train. That said i there are some areas where making a journey by bus - especially the seven sisters - which are regularly served by buses from central brighton and take an interesting coastal route, rottingdean is also worth an explore and is very accessible by bus. Note you cant explore much of West Sussex with the Brighton and Hove buses as Stagecoach operates the majority of these routes. Stagecoach also operates all bus routes east of Eastbourne. If you are interested in visiting those areas i would recommend the train - the rail network is extensive in the South with most touristy places having a train station even smaller towns such as Rye, Arundel, Battle, Pevensey Bosham, Fishbourne etc.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

For Stagecoach you can get a day rider around £6.30 for a days travel sometimes its cheaper to buy than a return ticket which seems crazy but it's the case on my local service, in my area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

Hi, I will be at a private home on Victoria Street a few blocks north of King Street and a few blocks east of B2122. Sorry about my loose use of the term city. I need to work on using your definitions. Over here at least I don't really differentiate between communities but tend to just call them cities, even though many probably are not technically cities. You indicate the ticket would not be much use in central Brighton, is that because it is easier to just walk? I will take a look at the Southern Rover Ticket. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

No problem. Yes, you can walk Central Brighton - although the ticket will be useful for Eastbourne etc.

Mike

Brighton, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

If you have a smart phone you can download the app that allows you a cheap day's travel at £3.90, or you can buy one on the bus for £3 from the bus driver, but only outside the main railway station.

A week's travel using the phone method is as follows:

1 day - £3.90

2 consecutive days - £7

3 consecutive days - £10.50

7 consecutive days - £17.50

28 consecutive days - £65

90 consecutive days - £160

Enjoy your stay!

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

Good Info, thanks

9. Re: 7 Day Saver Fare Brighton & Hove Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations