We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton on foot

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Brighton on foot

Hi

I am planning on a day trip from london to Brighton during my upcoming trip in May :-) I will take an early morning train from London and a late night one back again to get a full day in Brighton. I will be on foot and basically I'm wondering if it's too far to walk from the train station to the following

The lanes

North laine

Brighton pier

I have looked at a map but maps can be deceiving. Is there anything else I should consider trying to fit in with only the day available?

Thanks so much

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brighton on foot

This is very walkable -- less than a mile from the station to the other locations you mention. Even better, it's all down hill from the station to the pier (though uphill on the way back).

Things to do depends on your interests, but walking along the sea front/beach is nice if the weather co-operates.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brighton on foot

No, you can do it all by foot. Without stopping you could probably do that tour in less than an hour.

I would head to a decent fish and chip shop for lunch, tour The Royal Pavilion and enjoy a quick pint in the Evening Star by the station just before heading back. But you may be allergic to seafood, not interested in history and a tee-totaller - so it's probably best to let us know your interests !

Mike

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brighton on foot

Oh wow so everything is fairly close then that's awesome !

Thanks so much for the replies. Fish and chips is on my list and a seafront walk sounds lovely.

As far as your suggestions they are spot on for me except I will swap the pint for a scotch :-)

The royal pavilion was on my maybe if there is time list so looks like I can get that in as well.

Also I must remember to get my mum some Brighton rock she was born in Brighton and remembers having it as a child and wants me to bring her some home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brighton on foot

There is a shop on the pier that sells nothing but Brighton rock.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Brighton on foot

You can do loads more, you pass the pavilion as you go from North Laines to The Lanes, it's all very close.

I'd do a pub for lunch or fish & chips on the seafront but if you are catching a later train I'd have a sit down dinner alfresco around the lanes or north laines if the weather is good. One of the delights to Brighton is it has a very continental feel and a diverse collection of eating places, lots of outside seating, coffee shops, bistros and restaurants. In May I'd try and take avantage of that if lucky with the weather, so many places in U.K. still don't cater for outside cafe society or alfresco dining, many of us wish it was otherwise.

Stoofer

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brighton on foot

If you do get tired, you can pick up the no. 7 bus from stop H on Old Steine back to Brighton Station every few minutes. It also stops in North Street (stop X) and in Queens Road, by the Clocktower. A single journey ticket is £1.60.

Other frequent buses serving the Station include the 6 and 27.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brighton on foot

A single is now £2.00 from Old Steine to the station but it's very walkable

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brighton on foot

This link is a useful guide, except for #4 as Rounder has closed down. otherwise everything else remains valid.

timeout.com/travel/features/763/20-great-thi…

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brighton on foot

Thanks so much to everyone for all their help and suggestions :-)

some very helpful information there and I am glad that I will be able to cover everything I wanted to in Brighton and even a little more. will post how my day goes upon my return

Bring on MAY!!

Sussex
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brighton on foot

Hi

Don't know exactly when in May you are coming to Brighton, but the Brighton Festival and Festival Fringe are on right through May and there are all sorts of events going on; a lot of it is free!

http://brightonfestival.org/

http://www.brightonfringe.org/

Hope you have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations