We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

theargus.co.uk/news/11042479.Revealed__Brigh…

Shocked! I've eaten at 2 of these 5!

Would you continue to eat at an establishment that had zero points for hygiene or one that had been prosecuted for failing food hygiene standards?

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Oh yuk! What are the other two he owns?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

I'm pretty certain he owned the La Fourchette restaurants, and Kenzi on Church Road.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Oh no I've eaten there...My friend had her wedding anniversary party there too last year; wasn't cheap either. It makes your blood boil that people can be so callous with their customers' health. That's infuriating to blame it on the economy. The owner could roll his sleeves up and get the bleach and boiling water out if he gave a shitake mushroom for customers who pay his bills. I know stuff goes on behind the scenes that it's best we don't see but this..Thanks for posting.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

So is the guilty party or parties still running restaurants right now? I suspect so.

As per my first rant post, the FSA do not or cannot offer a good enough deterent, when I see their quotes about zero rated restaurants with poor history followed by boasts about protecting the public, well

that doesn't square IMO - I ask why are zeros still open and why are owners with past offences allowed to run restaurants.

Stoofer

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Yes, at least one of his restaurants that I know of is still running.

I wish the FSA did what they do in LA (and a number of other cities across the US): all restaurants have to post their hygiene grades (A, B, or C) in the front window, and they're now available on all Yelp listings. Any restaurant with a score that would put them below a C grade requires immediate remediation by the owner and/or the health license is suspended and the restaurant is closed.

The result locally is that no one will walk into a restaurant with anything less than an A rating, forcing restauranteurs to up their hygiene game.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Artgirl- Agreed! It can't be that difficult to achieve, can it?

Or maybe it would contavene an owners rights ;-) Nothing surprses me these days.

Stoofer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

Is it getting worse?

More appalling food hygiene inspection results for many of our favourite eateries!

http://www.crawleynews.co.uk/REVEALED-Sussex-s-worst-restaurants-pubs-cafes/story-23202370-detail/story.html#!

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

I reported seeing a few unpleasant looking bugs on food in a café near my house to the Council department and was impressed that within 48 hours they had visited and I received a report of the action plan.

It's amazing reading this, that more of us who eat out quite often don't get serious food poisoning. Clearly the penalties are not scary enough for restaurateurs to take it seriously.

The relevant department has suffered from cuts to funding (council tax). We as punters can only go on what we see front of house and most restaurateurs are going to make sure we don't see the nasty stuff. I often see the staff using the same loo as the customers, emerging wiping their hands on grubby aprons. Eeeuuugh.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

L'Eglise and Pomegranate? :-( :-(

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Revealed, Brighton's 5 filthiest Take Away & Restaurant

If you read the list and see some of the restaurants that score 1 you'd be surprised and I would have no doubt that you will have eaten in quite a few of them.

There's some real surprises in there and to answer the question - if they aren't hygienic, I wouldn't frequent them. They don't deserve the money.

Get answers to your questions about Brighton
Recent Conversations