We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Hi,

I'll be arriving in Heathrow just after 9.00 pm tomorrow night and wonder what is the best and fastest way to get to Brighton. The taxi costs £95 which I think is a bit stiff. Would it be feasable to get a taxi to Victoria and then the train?

Thanks

Sue

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

£95 for a taxi sounds a good price - it's a long way!

Cheaper and not much slower would be tube to Victoria (Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Gloucester Road, then change - same platform - to District Line to Victoria) then train to Brighton. That should take about 2 hours. There are no trains from Victoria between 1am and 4am.

Alternatively, there is a coach from Heathrow to Gatwick, and you could then get a train from Gatwick to Brighton. Assuming you are arriving at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, you will need to get to Heathrow Central Bus Station (see http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_gatwick_bus_transfer.htm). The coach takes 75 minutes and runs every 30 to 45 minutes (with no service between midnight and 2am). The train from Gatwick to Brighton takes 35 to 45 minutes and runs every half and hour (no service between 1:45 and 4:45 am).

I suggest that the tube to Victoria and train from there is easier.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Hi

If you wish to avoid going into London you can catch a direct coach to Brighton with National Express for £14 see http://www.nationalexpress.com. They leave from the Coach Station at Heathrow easy to find.

I personnally would not go into London.

Sue

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

I would avoid going into London too. It’s definitely cheaper to get the coach (£14 o/w) and I believe it would be quicker too.

Take the National Express Coach, you'll probably miss the 21:35 departure, so get the next one which departs at 22:35 and goes via Gatwick (but annoyingly this one has a 45min stop-over at LGW) but then direct to Brighton, total journey time = 2:45.

Where are you staying when you get to Brighton tho? Do you know the central bus terminal area in Brighton? (Called ‘Pool Valley’) is your hotel close by, is someone meeting you there, or do you need to get a cab (there isn’t a taxi rank there so you’d have to walk up to east Street, about 500mtres)

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Yes, good point, both. Apologies for my "London-centric" view of the world!

I agree that the direct coach from Heathrow to Brighton is a better idea.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Although ... I still think that Heathrow-Victoria by tibe and Victoria-Brighton to train should only take 2 hours. It's a question of whether Sue values the convenience of a single hourney with no changes (on the coach) over the speed and risk of the three-leg journey by two tubes and train.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Orange, no way will this trip be done within 2 hours using public transport. Believe me, I do it frequently.

SueSwede, if you were willing to consider the taxi, then you might consider a private taxi booked in advance. I use a service from Brighton that charges about £64 from Heathrow. It's still pricey, but less than the £95 you were looking at. I've been using this company for years, and they're reliable:

http://www.581travelltd.co.uk/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

The 22:35 coach isn't a single journey, it's a trip to Gatwick, get off, get on another coach and you don't get into Brighton until 1:20am

There is a train from Gatwick to Brighton at 00:13 which arrives at 00:51

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Good observation, I hadnt thought of getting the train from LGW!

Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

Hi,

aw dear I have a very bad concience, I got talked into getting a taxi since I was arriving late and paid 95 quid, thanks for taking the time to write to me. I am sitting in Brighton now at the Thistle Hotel and am pleasantly surprised, there weren't many good reports on it here, but my first impressions are good, and very friendly staff.

Thanks to you all,

Sue

10. Re: Heathrow-Brighton at 10:00pm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 09:20