We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Hastings - What's On?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
January in Hastings - What's On?

Hi, spending two weeks in the old town from the 2nd, anyone got any tips on nightlife & day time activities? Noticed there's never many posts on here - I guess it's not a touristy place? Looking at buying here, so wanting help fitting in with the locals!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

It's got the largest beach-based fishing fleet in England. Er, that's my knowledge of Hastings exhausted.

The south coast - Eastbourne, etc - has a reputation, perhaps unwarranted, for attracting retirees. Apart from Brighton, I don't think 'nightlife' is a word you often associate with south coast towns.

But go there and prove me wrong.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Hi.

Friends of mine have recently moved to the Hastings area and I spent 3 weeks there house-sitting while they went on holiday. It has never really struck me as a place to visit before, but I have to say I was very pleasantly suprised.

I found plenty to do while I was there ( this was in October ) and depending on your interests there are a whole range of things, many of which are free, or reasonably priced.

The local countryside is also worth exploring, and for one will be going back regularly.

I hope this link takes you to the Hastings page as a starting point, I will try and find out more in the meantime.

www.hastings.gov.uk/events/default.aspx

BB

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

The old town is lovely, very pretty; lots of lovely buildings. Having the sea just there is good. Great bakers in the old town too. Many enormous seagulls!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

NB. My avatar is a photo I took on the beach at Hastings, showing one of the boats which forms part of the largest beach based fishing fleet in not just England, but Europe.

I agree with gardengirlie, the old town in particular is very picturesque ( look out for Cheese Cottage ) but the whole area has much more to offer. Hastings Country Park is worth a visit, particularly The Firehills, with views across to the French Coast.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Here is the official tourist site for the Hastings area:

http://www.1066country.com/

A day trip to Rye would be essential, it's a wonderful little town, very pretty - one of the best-preserved old towns in southern England. Rye Harbour nature reserve is nationally renowned.

In between is the historic village of Winchelsea and the other side of Hastings is the quiet seaside resort of Bexhill (both places I keep intending to go to but not quite managed yet, but I've heard they're lovely).

Also nearby you have Bodiam Castle, a fantastic moated ruin in the countryside and the Kent & East Sussex steam railway that runs from Bodiam to Tenterden.

There are Roman ruins at Pevensey castle.

Battle Abbey is at the site of the battle of Hastings (hence '1066 Country').

Edited: 08 December 2009, 20:33
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

I agree with Bayboy and would recommend a trip to Rye. On a Thursday they have a market, which is worth a visit. This happens all year round, but not many stalls attend when it's windy though (for obvious reasons lol).

In Winchelsea it was where Spike Milligan was buried in the old churchyard. There is not much in Winchelsea, but it still is a pretty little village to walk around. Winchelsea Beach is a seperate place, that's where the beach is (well I guess the name says it all).

Bexhill has the Royal Pavilion and quite a good seafront, it's nice to walk there in the heat of summer and look out to sea at the flat, calm sea etc (although I apprecriate you are not going in the heat of Summer).

Hastings old town is full of history with quaint little shops etc. I find some of those shops quite atmopshetic which adds to them.

On days where the sea is rough you say it break over the side along Hastings seafront!!

Edited: 08 December 2009, 21:37
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Wow! Thanks guys for all your replies - 6 in one hit! I hope I've re-opened a new interest in the Hastings area - all you devotees of this area should start new threads. I think I'll post a trip report during my 2 week sojourn - after all, with only 8 hours of daylight it'll give me something to do at night. Unless of course, Peterscot, I discover a thriving nightlife that's as yet unreported! Lol! Sadly, I'm aware that parts of the south coast are known only as retiree heaven (the road to death as my pommie friend put it), but having visited Hastings in May this year, discovered it to be quite a bustling centre with a university being expanded there & government funds being invested, hence my interest in purchasing (for my retirement haven!).

Bay Boy, I had already checked out the steam railway - it looks great, but I will have to make it my first days visit, it's only open 1st to 3rd January. Will definitely visit Rye also, on market day (thanks for the tip Tarry11). Bluebreezer, I tried booking the "Piece of Cheese Cottage" but it was booked out, but I plan on checking it out - it is the cutest building Ive ever seen.

Looks like there will be plenty of walks & gardens to keep me busy during daylight hours at least, & I hope the weather is kind to me - not used to winters where I live, so looking forward to getting "rugged" up.

Thanks for all your suggestions, keep em coming.

Cheers, Judi

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Judi, more info; I emailed my son who lives there:

January is one of the quietest times to visit Hastings - there are few events as everyone recovering from the New Year and counting their pennies, and the weather is bleak. There are lots of festivals throughout the summer, including Jack in the Green (May), Old Town Carnival (August), Coastal Currents and the Seafood and Wine Festival (September) and Hastings Bonfire (October).

Information about the tourist attractions in the Hastings area, and an events calendar can be found here:

http://www.1066country.com/

Historic attractions in Hastings

1066country.com/Hastings/…

Hastings Old Town is probably one of the most attractive parts of Hastings, and there is plenty to explore in the streets and twittens (alleys), and along the Stade (the fishing beach).

hastingschoice.co.uk/HASTINGS-HISTORY/hastin…

There are lots of independent shops, tea rooms, pubs and restaurants in George Street and the High Street, including award-winning Judges Bakery

http://www.judgesbakery.com/home.php

The Old Town is known for live music, even in darkest January, and info on gigs might be found here:

http://www.ua1066.co.uk/

Alternatively, there is an independent cinema in the Old Town

http://www.electricpalacecinema.com/index.php

and a theatre.

http://www.stables-theatre.co.uk/

The links were live when I cut and pasted, sorry I don't know how to change them back.

You're spot on about huge investment being poured into Hastings; it's helped a lot. Hope you have a great visit.

Edited: 09 December 2009, 06:26
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
312 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Thx for those great links Gardengirlie. The 1066country.com one I check regularly, it's a great site. Judges Bakery is next door to where I'm staying for 2 weeks! I'm gonna end up a right fat ******, aren't I? Lol! I'll check out the cinema & Stables theatre when I'm there.

Gosh, at this rate of reply I'm hardly gonna have time to look for a place to buy - the whole purpose of my stay in Hastings. I'll be too busy taking up these suggestions! Keep up the good work guys.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January in Hastings - What's On?

Oh, Judie, it was bad enough when my son lived just along the road from Judges! I think I'd need a whole new wardrobe if I was staying next door! Hope you have a great visit, and that you're successful in your property search.

Get answers to your questions about Hastings