We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hastings Pier fire

Which Hastings hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hastings Pier fire

Sadly having recently been bought by the local council and White Rock Trust with a view to refurbishment, a large part of the pier was destroyed by fire overnight ( 5th October ).

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11473688

BB

Edited: 05 October 2010, 07:51
Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hastings Pier fire

How sad..hadn't seen this...thanks for posting

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hastings Pier fire

Well bearing in mind the above news, Hastings could do with all the help it can get , so allow me to recommend the imminent 'Hastings Week' . Im currently staying with friends just outside Hastings and hope to be able to extend my stay to include this week long festival.

www.1066.net/hastings-week/events10.htm

The torchlit parade and Firework display on Saturday October 16th are well worth seeing, but there are plenty of other events throughout the week to appeal to all tastes. Now would be a good time to show your support for this famous and historic old town.

BB

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hastings Pier fire

Torchlit parade? You think might be in a touch poor taste considering the incident?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hastings Pier fire

Expect visitors looking for driftwood memorabilia to sell on auction sites !

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hastings Pier fire

I heard about it on the news this morning; very sad. One son lives nearby, and he and his friends are very upset about it; there were great hopes about it being refurbished before long.

Hastings and its neighbour St Leonards have been through a bad patch over the last few years, and things were just beginning to look better. Good luck to everyone in the area.

It's a lovely place to visit, with the old town being particularly interesting.

Bluebreezer, that's a really good idea to mention going to Hastings Festival.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 18:28
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hastings Pier fire

GEJP......No I dont think the torchlight parade is in bad taste at all, its a longstanding tradition, and long may it remain so.

braaiseason.....the memorabilia hunters were already appearing on the beach early this afternoon.

gardengirlie....you are so right about Hastings and St Leonards going through a bad patch over the last few years, but they have a lot to offer, and the local authorities really do make an effort. I love the Old Town and Rock-a-Nore ( with the largest beach based fishing fleet in Europe no less ) in particular.

Hasting Week....October 8th-17th 2010. Enjoy

BB

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hastings Pier fire

Such a shame this happened :(

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hastings Pier fire

You could try coming over for The Jack in The Green Festival. Or The Battle reinactment. (In village of Battle) in October.

Went past pier yesterday on way into town. Most of the metel is still there. It seems that no one can contact the owners. (Ravensclaw)The council have been talking about a CPO but don't know if anything's been down about it yet as been in Costa Rica lately.

I'm afraid it is looking rather sorry for itself, all charred and blackened....

9. Re: Hastings Pier fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:41
Get answers to your questions about Hastings