We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Hastings?

Which Hastings hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Hastings?

Will be staying at Combe Haven camp during the 6 weeks holidays and was wondering what people can recommend to do and see in the area.

Also places to eat as well.

Thank you in advance xx

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

Hello.

What are your interests? What kind of things do you like? Do you have children?

In Hastings you have the sealife centre, although been talking to people recently and it can be done in 15 minutes and those who I have spoken too haven't been too impressed, but just a thought. You have Clambers, which is good for wet weather and children as it's an indoor playarea http://www.clambers.co.uk/. You also have smugglers adventures http://www.smugglersadventure.co.uk/ which I would recommend visiting by using the West Cliff lift, those are always fun to ride. Another idea is that Drusillas at Alfriston which is good. http://www.drusillas.co.uk/

Naturally other attractions in Hastings include walking along the seafront, always nice on a nice day, traditional seaside fun at it's best, ie, you have amusements, rides, etc,crazy golf, fish and chip shops type of thing.

If you like walks, I would recommend the Firehills, or Hastings County Park, be aware it's up and down hills in parts, but I love the views from above.

hastings.gov.uk/community_living/…

Naturally I need to bump up Rye and on a Thursday there is a market which is good although it is busy during the 6 weeks. Rye is a historic town, and you like cobbled streets it's the place for youhttp://www.visit1066country.com/explore-1066-country/rye-camber-sands you. If you go up the Church, you get a good view of Rye and the area. :)

Naturally Camber is one of the best beaches in my opinion in this area, as it's sand and dunes, but on the hottest days the road from Camber to Rye gets snarled up, so be warned.

Another idea is Bodiam Castle as that's always good: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodiam-castle/ The grounds are lovely too :)

Another idea is the Rare Breeds Farm: http://www.rarebreeds.org.uk/

Just a few ideas of top of my head.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

More thoughts as I was scared of losing my long reply to you is a visit to Eastbourne and a bit further along, beachy head and the seven sisters natural park, I always enjoy visiting there, but than I just like white cliffs clearly ;)

Eastbourne is about 16 miles or so from Hastings. I like to walk about Sovereign Harbour, and there are lots of nice places to eat there. Sovereign harbour is near the retail park where Asda is, you can't miss it if you are coming say, Hastings way. It's like seeing how the other half life (I don't mean in Asda that is just strange, I am meaning the harbour area lol) and just watching the world go by.

This may sound random and perhaps not ideal, but on holiday I like sometimes just looking at a map, and picking a place at random to see what is there, I've found some nice places that way ;)

I think I may have rambled a wee bit too much,sorry.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

We had a really interesting day in Battle just up the road. We had joined English heritage which meant free entry, but even if you pay full price the walk around the Battlefield with the headphones guide was fascinating, through lovely countryside and burned off calories before dinner!

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

There are a wide variety of things to do so much depends on your interests...

1) Walking: would definitely recommend the Hastings Country Park which is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastal scenery in the country (cliffes, glens, flowering gorse, woodland, waterfalls and hidden secluded coves and great views of the channel from the white cliffs to beachy head). Beachy head and the seven sisters are also not far away (just west of Eastbourne) and are also spectacular for walking. The Rye Harbour nature reserve to the east of Hastings is also well worth a walk.

2) Beaches: There are lots of beaches in the area, my personal favourites are Camber Sands (east of Rye) (large sand dunes and the only proper Sandy beach around East Sussex) and Pett Level Beach (quiet beach under the cliffs with a lovely prettified forest), Covehurst Bay (a hidden beach in the country park) and the far eastern beach at Hastings by the harbour arm – this is also in a nice setting under the cliffs and you can watch the fishing boats go by. The beaches in Hastings are pebbley – though they are more sandy then Eastbourne or Brighton in as much as the tide does not need to be as far out for sand to be revealed (there are also some nice rock pools at St Leonards beach), - in fact one of the best beaches locally is the one just down from Combe Haven at Bulverhythe/Glyne Gap - Bulverhythe itself is not very attractive but the beach is set back away from the road has sand for a reasonable amount of the day is relatively quiet and has lovely old wooden boats and multi coloured beach huts – if you check the tides it is a great low tide walk along the sand from Bulverhythe to Bexhill and if you are really lucky you can get site of the Amsterdam shipwreck which run aground at Bulverhythe

For History: – the old town is the most historic area of Hastings with half timber houses, old churches and medieval alleyways. The fishing harbour is also very interesting and largely unchanged for several hundred years. There is also a castle (this is in a nice setting on the cliffs but is largely ruins so although it is historically important – the first norman castle in the UK) it leaves a lot of people disappointed). There are nearby castles and Bodiam and Pevensey which are easily accessible from Hastings as is the site of the Battle of Hastings at Battle (just north of Hastings). Off the tourist trail –the Burton St Leonards is St Leonards old town – it is the first regency seaside resort and has some beautiful early 1800s buildings set around a lovely formal gardens (St Leonards Gardens) which is a great place for a picnic

For culture: the two main galleries in the area are the Jerwood and the De Le Warr pavilion in next door Bexhill –both are worth visiting and are in nice setting (though you have to pay to get into the Jerwood so would only recommend if you have a interest in arts). There are lots (20+) smaller art galleries mainly concentrated in the Old town and central St Leonards. There are lots of museums in the area – the largest and most interesting is the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery – which is free to enter and is off the main tourist trail. Other smaller museums in the area include the Fishermans Museum, The Old town hall museum, the shipwreck and heritage centre, the flower makers museum and the Bexhill museum (all but the latter are also free to get in). A believe a museum of true crime is also opening but not sure when

For kids: – there is a little fair at the beach, with swan boats and some largely gentle rides, there is also three crazy golf courses and a small aquarium. There also a miniature railway which runs to the fishing area. The Smugglers Caves on the West Hill is also well worth doing (though may be scary for little ones). There are two furnicular railways up the cliffs – the West Hill one takes you to the caves and castle while the east hill one is steeper and offers better views and takes you to the country park. For younger kids there is a soft play area called clambers which is popular though traumatic. There is also one of the best public parks in England Alexandra Park which is a day out in itself (six mile long) with lots of lakes formal gardens play areas a bandstand, woodland areas and a little miniature railway on Sundays).

For Day Trips: – Rye is a must (one of the most beautiful small town in England) and then depending on interests Battle, Bodiam Castle, Camber, Eastbourne, Drusillas, the Observatory Science Centre, Great Dixter gardens are all great places to visit

For interesting shopping: – the Old town has a great range of quirky individual shops as does St Leonards (though this is a more shabby chic bohemian type area), they are also have loads of cafes

For eating out: there is lots depending on your tastes - for posh – (Pier nine and St Clements), , for classic Indian (Ghurka, Cinnamon Spice), for interesting Indian Kerelan etc. (Taj Mahal, Jali) for Thai (Boulevard Books), for nice atmosphere (Porters, Lathams Brassarie) for Italian (Pasta Pasta, Fortes, Tratoria Italia) for Turkish (Ada, Isabella) for Caribbean (Mama Putts) for fish and chips Maggies, for “trendy” Dragon or Pomegranate, for Seafood Whites or Webbs, for Morrocan (Café Maroc), for Armenian (Café Relax), for Amercian (Pelican Diner), for Carnovore (Two Bulls) for Japanese (Wasabi Hut), for Cakes (Michalas Cute Cakes) for Ice Cream (Di Polas) for old English (Hendys Home Store, Land of Green Ginger, Waterfalls)

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

Wow! Thanks all for your info.

Traveling with a 12 year old with attitude. So wont be impressed with anything apart from arcades!

Have been to Eastbourne previously lovely place, great beach.

Have visited Dynchurch before and drove through Camber, again lovely beach.

Lets hope the weather stays good.

Thank you again for all your responses

Deb xx

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

The 12 year old with attitude might like Battlezone which is an outdoor lazer quest type thing (have never been so cant recommend or otherwise) that is up from White Rock above the pier, they may also like the smugglers caves which do have lots of interactive arcade style games inside as well as being historically interesting for the adults. The amusement arcades are found on the stretch of beach in front of the old town which also has a little amusement park with go carts and some rides for older kids (but it is no blackpool pleasure beach) ! If you have weather like this afternoon you will have a great time as was absolutely glorious

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

Thank you for your ideas.

Just want to have lots loads of ideas, weather permitting.

Any recommendations for a Cream tea in the area?

Thanks again Deb x

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

Here, on your trip to Rye (which I agree is a must) : tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS or if you want posher, here in Hastings itself : www.hastingsaccommodation.com/creamteas.html

Mike

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

In Rye I quite like Rye Bakery for a cake and coffee, or even Jempsons bakery on the corner as you go up Market Hill ;)

Not sure about cream teas, just know I like both places for cake and coffee.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Hastings?

The best place in the area for Cakes has to be Michala's Cute Cakes in St Leonards (currently rated third best resteraunt in East Sussex on trip advisor with pretty much all 5* reviews). The cakes are amazing, generous portions and great value and it is a lovely setting in a beautiful vintage shop - unaminaginatively named SHOP.

Waterfalls (in Hastings town centre) is another local favourite of mine for tea and cake - it is in a lovely little giftshop with a cute parisian style frontage and lovely old fashoined tea rooms upstairs.

Cafe Des Arts is also a popular tea and cake place - it has a lovely interior with 1920s style fixtures and fittings (have only ever lunched there so not sure about quality of cakes) and is also run as a charity to support people with autism who get employment as waiting staff there and also provide artwork for sale.

Land of green ginger in the old town is really lovely too and also has a quainr old fashoined tearoom atmosphere

Get answers to your questions about Hastings