We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocers/Food in Rye

Toronto, Ontario...
7 posts
Save Topic
Grocers/Food in Rye

Hi

We're self-catering at Camber Sands for 3 days in a couple weeks (!!), and wondering what Rye has for groceries and such, preferably close to the station. In particular, produce and gluten-free products.

Also, if anyone knows what's available out at Camber, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Peggy

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

There is a large Sainsbury's in St Leonards on Sea and a big Tesco at Tenterden. M&S have a branch at a shopping centre in Queens Road, Hastings.

Could be worthwhile sending a PM to argyle_mikey, the DE for West Sussex and all around good chap, as he may be able to direct you to one or more local shops near Rye or Camber Sands.

Of GF items, you'll find a good selection at Sainsbury's (my GF niece's favourite), Waitrose and M&S.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

There are a couple of stores right there in Camber Sands, the main one being at the entrance to Pontins Holiday Camp, another one just across the road.

If travelling into Rye there is a Budgens supermarket just opposite the train station. Whilst all 3 are fairly small in terms of supermarkets, they should cover most of your shopping needs.

Over to you Argyle Mikey !

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

Correction to my above post. I believe the Budgens supermarket I mentioned in Rye is called Jempsons locally, but its the same thing.

You have chosen a wonderful place to spend some time, and its a shame you only have 3 days there as the surrounding area has much to offer.

Camber Sands is a beautiful setting, with a sweeping bay and golden sands, but apart from that there really isn't a great deal on offer on the immediate doorstep. A word to the wise, I often visit there in the height of summer and even then the winds can whip in with a vengeance. This time of year you need to be prepared for some very bracing sea breazes.

Just a few miles to the east is the almost mystical Dungeness. A place folk seem to either love or hate, personally I love its uniqueness. Forget the large nuclear power station located there, though that has a haunting beauty of its own.

To the west of Camber the small town of Rye is a must see in my book. Steeply sloping cobbled streets, and a range of little shops that you dont see in most towns these days.

Further west still. I can recommend Winchelsea. High up on a hill overlooking Rye Bay, this is well worth a walk around.

All of these are within easy reach of Camber, by car or public transport.

Enjoy !

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

Thank you TP ;-)

Tarry is the real expert locally and I shall defer to him - although the advice given above is good. Jempsons is very central and will cater for most needs (although they'd run out of charcoal last time I went, due to a rare hot spell). Bigger supermarkets are a bit of a drive away. There's a great little shop selling the freshest fish just out of town on the Camber Sands road.

Shame you've already booked, this place looks good for you : http://www.thestrandhouse.co.uk/diets.aspx

When in Rye, make sure you start with the town model and go up the church tower !

For a little trip out, The Red Lion at Snargate in Romney Marsh is one of the most unspoilt pubs I know. You can also see the lost churches of the marsh near there.

Have fun !

Mike

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

Thank you Mike, and by the way I'm female ;) I do try. I missed this yesterday as I was in France.

In Camber, you have 3 shops, one is a post office, a Premier and a Nisa, but they do not have much if anything in the way of Gluten free, but in Rye there is a couple of health shops, Rye Health Foods, and Holland and Barrett, which will do gluten free foods etc. There is also a couple of greengrocers in Rye, which do good vegetables. I recommend Johnsons Fruitique.

Oh another idea, try Salts Farm shop, not far from the Camber turn off, they do some lovely fresh food.

Also, agree with the comments about bigger supermarkets.

I live in Rye, and know Camber very well, as I spend quite a bit of time there.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

Not forgetting the Rye Deli on the high street - nice for a browse even if you're not buying any of their lovely pastries/pies etc. http://www.ryedeli.co.uk/

I've always thought the supermarket in Rye next to the station is branded as Budgens - but from the Jempsons website it appears to be part of the Jempsons family. There is a Jempsons cafe in Rye for pastries but from the Jempsons website I think their main own-name supermarket is out in Peasmarsh. http://www.jempsons.com/

Winchelsea has a little grocers/deli called Winchelsea Farm Kitchen http://www.winchelseafarmkitchen.co.uk/

Travelling in the other direction from Camber, there is a Sainsbury's in New Romney on the Dymchurch Rd.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

Jempsons now own Budgens Bayboy. They took it over a few years ago. I can't remember exactly when. They seem to stock, strangely, Supervalu products which is strange, as I use supervalu when in Ireland.

New Romney is about 8 miles from Camber.

I forgot about Rye Deli, they have some lovely pies etc. :) The Deli is not far from Barclays bank and the aforementioned greengrocers.

8. Re: Grocers/Food in Rye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:19