We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Hello, visiting a friend at the Essex/Kent border... Its not the prettiest place in the world, so can anyone suggest some authentic country pubs in the Kent or Essex counties within an hour max drive of Dartford? I am seeking a pub or gastropub that doesnt serve indian food, fajitas or fancy fusion nonsense. I am seeking a nice pub that serves good pub food such as old fashioned and rustic food (a bit similar to the heston blumenthal pub in terms of style of food- i just dont like the 2 hour max seating policy in his pub). Any suggestions would be great... Cheers

Essex
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Well, much as I love Essex, if you are actually staying in Dartford, I'd recommend that you stay south of the river, because, as well as having to pay for the Dartford Crossing, you might get stuck in a TON of traffic there, and turn your hoped-for 1 hour journey into a 3 hour traffic-jam nightmare!!

I'm not very good at locations of pubs in Kent, although there are some very good ones, perhaps the 'reciprocal' post that you have made in the Kent forum will bear fruit.

IF you are staying NORTH of the River after all, please post back with your location, and I will see what I can think of, and hope that you will get some other suggestions too.

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

KepinItReal,

You will find the "Queens Head" in Fyfield, just north on Ongar on the B184 very difficult to beat. beams, real ale and one of the very best restaurants in Essex.

Even closer to Kent, the Mary Green Manor Hotel, Brook Street, Brentwood.

Good Luck.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Thanks for that. You sure about Brentwood though... I've heard its a drive thru at a fast rate kinda a place... :)

Essex
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

The Marygreen Manor is a relatively good class hotel, with bar and restaurant, in an old Tudor Building. It is not really a country pub, as it is on Brook Street - the main road into Brentwood off the M25, which is built up now with car showrooms, tile shops etc, not very authentic surroundings for this AUTHENTIC Hotel (don't you just love town planners!!)

Brentwood, otherwise, is a nice enough town, but I would not go there unless you had a SPECIFIC reason to do so!! - You won't be ABLE to drive through at a fast rate, because the traffic is terrible, and there are speed traps everywhere!!!

Some nice Country that you could consider in Essex include:

The Viper, Mill Green, Ingatestone, CM4 0PT - the only pub named after a snake that is known of. It's a great pub in woodlands, with a large variety of real ales, and decent food, there are some nice walks in the area.

The Black Bull, Main Road, Margaretting, CM4 9JA - this pub is a local food 'hotspot' with really good, proper-but-imaginative homecooked food, none of your 'chain' stuff.

St Annes Castle, Main Road, Great Leighs, Chelmsford, CM3 1NE - this pub does good beer and food, but is most famous for it's live music, which is worth travelling for, eg Amy McDonald used to perform here, before she 'made it':

http://www.stannescastle.co.uk/main/index.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR7SdaXHPH4

The Cricketers, Clavering, nr Saffron Walden, CB11 4QT - this is a lovely country pub in a nice little village. It has a small amount of accommodation. It does great food, but you need to book. It is Jamie Oliver's Dad's Pub!!!

http://www.thecricketers.co.uk/

Saffron Walden itself has some nice pubs along the main street, and is a relatively easy drive for you, as it is very close to the M11, My favourite is the Eight Bells, but the Cross Keys Hotel is also very good.

Hope this little lot helps a bit - but if you have any particular AREA of Essex in mind that you feel is within 'striking distance' for you, post back and I will see what else I can think of.

Regards

EW

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

oh... thanks for all the recommendations... will have a looksie on google as to where all these places are etc etc... thanks...

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

I was at The Viper on Mother's Day. Nice beer, good food, shame about the service.

How about these 3 all within a mile of the M25 but still in the middle of nowhere :-

Tower Arms, South Weald - then a walk in Weald Country Park

pub-explorer.com/essex/pub/towerarmssouthwea…

The Greyhound, Little Warley

www.vintageinn.co.uk/thegreyhoundbrentwood/

The Plough, Navestock Heath - difficult to find, but you can watch cricket while you drink.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Went here yesterday, thought it was really nice:

http://whitehartmargarettingtye.co.uk/

Essex
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

OH, and perhaps this website will help - with CAMRA pub suggestions for Essex:

http://www.essex-camra.org.uk/

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

I can remember that 20 or so years ago Brentwood was named the most boring town in England (not sure by whom or whether some kind of vote was taken). I don't know it it retained that crown. It's up against some stiff competition, after all.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ye olde country pubs with good food and good beer? Where?

Yeah - get this!!:

http://www.boredtown.co.uk/