We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

Adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

Interested in hearing from anyone who has used this. Need to get from Southend to Gatwick for 8am flight...assume would need to get the 2.30am bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

I tried this years ago-but only the once!It is not a flyer, more of a crawler really -it goes all over the place making loads of stops. Eventually, when everyone's been picked up from lots of different parts of Essex, you're put onto a larger coach at the Queen Elizabeth bridge and taken to Gatwick.( Of course, it may be better now, but it was a slog!!)Get a train from Southend into London and then get a train to Gatwick...or get a private cab from Southend to Gatwick.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

<<Get a train from Southend into London and then get a train to Gatwick>>

I dont think thats going to work at 230am?

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

Yeah-that wouldn't work at that time of night!Sorry!The same plan would work best by travelling the night before and staying at one the Gatwick hotels.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

We used Gatwick flyer to take us from Gatwick Airport to our hotel in Romford.

At first I thought the price of 74 pounds for a bus ride was a bit extreme, but when we arrived I realized the hotel was almost an hour away from the airport.

Driver was a little harsh - when he arrived and opened the back of the van for suitcases I handed him our bags and got yelled at. Evidently he wanted to put them in the back in the order he was going to take them out - but I didn't know that.

Seats were cramped too - knees crunched against the seat in front of me.

Comfortable ride? No... but it got us where we needed to go.

England
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

i've used it several times from the Southend area to Gatwick and there are pros and cons. Depending on how many people are being picked up/dropped off it can be a long slog, which is why they insist on allowing such a long time to get to and from the airport. The other pain is that they only run every 2 hours, which means you may get to the airport earlier than needed or have a long wait for the bus back if you miss one. The advantage is that they will pick you up from your home, thus saving quite a bit of hassle, and although I think they are quite expensive, you don't have to factor in the cost of parking or a taxi to the station (or even worse a taxi to the airport).

6. Re: Gatwick Flyer Bus Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Essex