We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help with planning my trip to the Cotswolds with my boyfriend in mid-November.

We haven't booked accommodation yet but have found three lovely options - one in Bourton on the Water, one in Burford and another in Aston Magna. We'll have our car with us.

Here's the itinery I've planned so far and wanted to ask how this sounds?

Day 1 - Chipping Campden then an afternoon in Stratford upon Avon

Day 2 - Bourton on the water (including the Motor Museum), Lower slaughter / upper slaughter and Stow on the Wold

Day 3 - Burford, Birbury & something else (assuming we wouldn't need a full day for these two?)

How does this itinerary sound? Realistic? too ambitious? or could we actually do the above in two days as opposed to three?

We are then planning to do a day in Oxford after this and wondering whether to stay just outside Oxford or add on another night in Cotswolds?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

This is a very sensible itinerary.We visited both Chipping Campden and Stratford Upon Avon in a full day a few weeks ago and we set off from Northamptonshire.The Motor Museum at Bourton is great fun,and will take about 30-60 minutes to wander around,so Bourton,Stow and the Slaughters are very achievable.Incidentally you can walk from Bourton to Lower Slaughter which is a beautiful walk taking roughly 25 minutes(about a mile est).Burford has plenty of little shops,a museum and pub restaurants also and together with Bibury(which is 10 miles away) is worth about 8 hours including travelling. Bibury.like Lower Slaughter is beautiful but can be walked and viewed in about an hour so maybe a lunchtime visit to The Fox Inn at Great Barrington(sort of in between Bibury and Burford)could be an option.As for a base,considering you want a day to Oxford,i would personally stay in Burford adding an extra night there.Burford to Oxford is about 20 miles using the A40.I am not sure where the park and ride is but that is a sensible option.As for doing it all in 2 days instead of three....why rush?

Edited: 30 October 2017, 07:33
Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

Just thought i would add that The British Motor Museum at Gaydon holds the worlds largest collection of historic cars and is about 20 minutes from Stratford Upon Avon.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

Agree with Shane, a sensible itinerary for the 3 days, 2 days would become a rush. If you are travelling to/from Cardiff you might include a trip to the Morgan Factory in Malvern, or the Mini factory in Oxford, but I think something else would have to make way.

www.visitworcestershire.org/thedms.aspx…

miniplantoxford.co.uk/facts-figures/plant-to…

Middlesex
Level Contributor
1 post
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?

Your itinerary sounds realistic and good for Cotswold trip.

Your trip to Oxford City is a taster visit?

If this the case, as you suggested yourself, stay outside - you could for example in Witney, and take the bus from Witney to Oxford (route S1). It is a frequent and established route - saves you driving and parking (Park and Ride or City Centre). Typically, the last bus from Oxford back to Witney is 2330h and takes about 35 minutes (but please check yourself).

Reply to: 2 or 3 days for our planned Cotswold itinery ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted