We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

I'd appreciate a sense from others about if I'm biting off more than my husband and I can chew in a day.

We plan to drive from Bath up to Chipping Campden, plan to eat lunch perhaps in Stow on the Wold, then see Blenheim Castle, then drive down to our hotel in Petersfield (south of Basingstoke) all in one day.

We'd perhaps stop when we felt like meandering through a town, but for the most part don't mind driving most of the day. And of course an hour or two at Blenheim. Or does Blenheim Palace deserve an whole afternoon, and we should skip Chipping Campden, and hit a more southerly Costswold town?

Too much?

21 replies to this topic
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Woah.

Yes, too much. Put the places into Google Maps and see that the route is not particularly logical - it's 4 hours at least, just for the drive, factor in the British roads are not fast, and the fact that you're likely to hit Petersfield (driving through one of the most densely populated bits of England) at or after rush hour.

How about Bath to Petersfield via Lacock and Avebury?

Blenheim (Palace, not a castle) needs a day, half a day at the very least. You'd barely park up and see the outside of the house in a hour...

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Another option is skipping the night in Petersfield, staying in the Cotswolds, coming back down to see Blenheim the following day on our way to petersfield. That means skipping the Thanksgiving day in London with family .. . . hm, decisions, decisions.

Blenheim and the Cotswolds is a priority over stone circles. Now we just have to decide if extra family time is a priority, and having (getting!) to come back to England to see London another time - which I'd be glad to have a reason to do so!!

Edited: 14 November 2017, 21:36
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

If it helps, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK - its a normal working day for us.

P-t-B

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't recommend a route from Blenheim to Petersfield via Basingstoke. The alternatives I'd suggest by road are

A44 - A34 (Newbury) - M4 - M25 - A3; or

A44 - A34 (Winchester) - M3 (briefly) - A 252; or

A44 - A34 (Winchester) - M3 (Southampton) - M27 - A3(M) - A3

The A34 and M25 are very busy and, in particular on the M25 (the London orbital motorway) traffic can crawl. The A252 is picturesque but single carriageway ( = two-way traffic) and you won't appreciate the scenery if it's dark (sunset around 4pm at present).

The route which takes you past Southampton may actually be the quickest/least stressful, but it is a long way round.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Way too much for one day. It is all very well to say you don't mind driving but you need to stop in one or two villages to really get a feel for the area.

If you want to see Blenheim then you need two days, with a night somewhere like Stow-on-the-Wold. You mention Thanksgiving so I assume you will be taking the trip soon - you need to factor in the short daylight hours at this time of year.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

I do this (sort of route) regularly from just south of Bristol to just south of Petersfield and always go the M4, A34, A272 route, usually takes around 2.5 hours depending on time of day.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

If there is no scope to rearrange days, an alternative Cotswold route is just about doable IF you are willing to get up early and aren't fussed about shops being open etc. This is assuming that you will have not been driving the day before/day after.

Head out of Bath on the A4 through Box (consider a detour to Lacock if you are willing to set aside 45 minutes - village tries to be traffic free so you would need to park and walk) and drive through the villages of Biddestone and Castle Combe. Drive through Malmesbury and Cirencester (or stop for coffee) and try to stop to take a look at Arlington Row in Bibury (yes you will go past what looks like a jumbo jet scrapyard in the middle of the countryside). Head to Blenheim on the A40 (or detour through Witney on a slower road). I make that about 3-4 hours duration

Last admission to Blenheim seems to be 16:45.

Blenheim to Petersfield (pretty much straight down the A34) is probably going to take you about 2 hours. I imagine the road is going to be pretty busy between 4-6pm (especially when south of the M4) so it might not be too daft to stay at Blenheim until towards closing time.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Wow this is so helpful everyone, thanks.

I will be moving a night's stay from Petersfield to another city - would you suggest Stow-on-the-Wold, or somewhere closer to Blenheim? Chipping Norton? Bourton-On-the-Water?

Day 1: from Bath drive through Cotswolds, stay in ??

Day 2: wake up in ?? and visit Blenheim, drive to Petersfield

Sound reasonable?

Edited: 15 November 2017, 21:03
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

I’d spend Thanksgiving with your family and cut something out of your driving day. That extra bit of the Cotswolds will still be there the next time you visit.

Mike

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?

Suggestions for the ?? to stay in:

Woodstock itself

Witney

Burford

Stow on the Wold

I've lived in the first two and love the second two. All would be lovely places to spend the evening.

Reply to: Bath to Chipping Campden to Petersfield - too much?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted