We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Hi,

I'm planning to have a day trip to one of the Cotswolds' towns in mid December. I personally like antique jewellery a lot and would like to do some shopping of that during my visit. Could somebody pls suggest the best place to go (e.g. Broadway, Chipping Norton, Stow on the wold, cheltenham, cirencester, Gloucester, Tetbury etc) ?

And I will not be driving ..

Any recommendations are welcome! Many thanks in advance!

The Cotswold Cheese
Gift & Speciality Shops
Burford
Gift & Speciality Shops
Burford Garden Center
Gift & Speciality Shops
5 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,964 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Where are you travelling from as that is likely have a bearing on which public transport routing to suggest?

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Sorry that I forgot to mention I will be travelling to Cotswolds from London. Will probably go there by rail + bus I guess.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,964 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Cheltenham and Gloucester are not actually in the ‘official’ Cotswolds. The rest don’t have Stations in the town

How about train to Moreton in Marsh from Paddington (See www.nationalrail.co.uk ) it has lots of shops and a popular Tuesday market. It is also an easy bus ride to Stow on the Wold (note no Sunday Service) pulhamscoaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/1…

Not quite what you asked but eminently doable?

Level Contributor
3,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

Public transport limits you significantly (and I'm a public transport user).

I would go with Cheltenham, it doesn't have small Cotswold town charm, but it's practical and has a bit of character. Stroud might be another option, it's a lot smaller but has some good independent shopping. The highlight is the market though which is more food than gift orientated

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds

There are plenty of small charming little independent shops available in many of the villages/towns you have mentioned.We regularly visit,and were in Gloucester last weekend which has its Christmas market by the quayside and next door to Gloucester shopping centre which is full of indoor branded named shops(many i had never heard of!)Tetbury again,is charming and tends to lend its shopping experience a little more to the antique side of things...it has of course small shops and cafe/restaurants....this trend continues similarly to many other Cotswolds towns and villages.Having said all of the above,i would agree that your way of getting around maybe against you so if you are coming from London,a train to Moreton or Kemble near Cirencester (a shortish taxi ride)could be a couple of a few options.......For me,Cirencester or Cheltenham would be my personal choices.

Reply to: Best Place for Shopping in Cotswolds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted