escape from the city. Ideally my idea of a good visit would be to drive among the villages and stop here and there and walk among the houses and market areas in a leisurely manner, however on reading several posts here, it seems that driving there and parking can be stressful (I'm from the USA, so might be difficult adjusting to driving on left side).
1. Looking at the forums, it seems like the Secret Cottage tour seems very popular. If anybody has been on this tour, can you offer insight on what the tour entails, i.e. are you driven around most of the time, or is there decent time to walk around and explore.
2. Is the main attraction of the Cotswolds looking at the old houses, or are there trails linking the villages that can be walked easily (like in Cinque terra) with pretty scenery and are relatively short (less than 1 hr).
3. What villages are most ideal to visit if you want to walk around for scenery and market life (i.e. not just to admire private houses that you can't go into).
4. Any recommendations of other attractions in the area?
5. Is there easy public transportation between the different villages?
Thanks for any advice or insight.