We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas please.

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Ideas please.

I will be in the Cotswolds for a 4 night stay, then, I have 4 additional nights available before we depart London. I have spent time in London, but, my traveling partner has not. With that said, what suggestions for a day trip while in the Cotswolds, and where do you suggest a full 2 day 1 night sidetrip enroute to London?

My thoughts: day trip ideas while in Cotswolds..Bath, Stonehenge, Bristol..(maybe 2 of those 3 in the same day)

OR, Oxford and Woodstock

OR, Stratford upon Avon

Or, Windsor Castle?

Ok, those are a few of my ideas. BUt, more difficult for me is a 2 long days with 1 night side trip ending up in London.

My thoughts ( please help) could we ever go all the way to Cornwall? How would that look..

Maybe just to Devon? Or to New Forest?

We are most interested in nature beauty. Lovely drives.

I know I am asking a lot, but I would love to hear your detailed ideas for a lovely drive and what places to stop. Any opinions appreciated. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Ideas please.

Oops forgot important info..we are in Cotswolds June 7-11.

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Ideas please.

Oh geez, wish I could for once put all needed info into one post. Forgot to mention we will have a car.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Ideas please.

For me, you are talking about too much in those days. Using Chipping Camden as an example of a Cotswold town, you are at least three hours from the eastern border of Cornwall. That is not a day trip, neither is trying to do Bristol plus Bath and/or Stonehenge in a day. Windsor is a very simple trip by train for half a day.... from London!

You say that you are going to the Cotswolds for four days and then list a whole succession of places that are not in the Cotswolds.

Edited: 05 October 2018, 21:12
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
127 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Ideas please.

Stratford is an easy day from the Cotswolds as are Oxford and Woodstock. Have you thought about Blenheim Palace - one of the great Treasure Houses of England?

Forget Cornwall and Devon for a two day side trip, unless you want to send all your time driving in the car.

Have you thought about the Forest of Dean area and the Wye valley. There are places like Chepstow Castle and Tintern Abbey. If there is time you might be able to to see some of the Brecon Beacons.

Another suggestion would be to head to Tewksbury and then trickle up through the Welsh Borders. Do a loop, visiting places like Hereford (with its Cathedral and Mappa Mundi), Leominster (a small market town), Ludlow (castle and a food town), Bishop’s Castle (a real step back on time), Knighton (another unspoilt tourist town), Kington, Hay on Wye (the book town) and back to Hereford. This is well off the usual tourist beat but with some lovely scenery. Do a goggle image search .

Alternatively you could head east into East Anglia - Norfolk or Suffolk... which has some very pleasant rolling agricultural scenery, superb churches and some pretty good stately homes too....

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Ideas please.

I agree with the comments above - Cornwall is a non-starter in the time you have available.

I would be more inclined to add the extra night to London (if you want to see Windsor Castle - much easier visited by train from London than the Cotswolds) or extend your time in the Cotswolds. Oxford really needs a day on its own but Blenheim/Woodstock could be combined with some of the Cotswolds villages around Chipping Norton or Burford.

Bath would probably be just as easy to visit from London too - it is a straight 2 hour train journey. Bath can also be visited from Oxford by train.

I am not sure where you are picking up your car but if it is, say, Heathrow, you could drop the car back in Oxford and continue by train (either to Bath or to London). If you are able to book in advance and stick to specific trains you can get cheap advance fares from about four months before your date of travel.

If you are arriving into LHR there may be alternative ways of dealing with Cotswolds/Bath/Oxford etc. Neither Oxford nor Bath are particularly car friendly. More details would help.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,174 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: Ideas please.

>>>where do you suggest a full 2 day 1 night sidetrip enroute to London?<<<

Salisbury and Stonehenge might be worth looking at. You could stop off at some nice villages en route to Salisbury, visit the cathedral there, stay ovenright and then head to London via Stonehenge the next day.

But i confess I'm a little confused about your overall plan. 4 nights means 3 full days, so I'd concentrate on the Cotswolds itself in that time, as the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is a fairly large area by UK standards. Woodstock is on the eastern edge, Stratford upon Avon is outside, Cheltenham just outside the western edge and Bath just outside the southern boundary. I wouldn't attempt to go much further than one of those.

But where are you coming from? I ask this not to be nosy but to find out if you might have seen anything else en route to the Cotswolds which would impact on suggestions.

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Ideas please.

Thank you all.

Ok, so full itinerary is one night upon arrival from the states into LHR, then onto Cotswolds for an 8 night walking tour of the Cotswolds, followed by a 1 night stay in Oxford, ( where other family members joining at this time, flying in and getting to oxford) They will not overnight in Oxford, rather all of us would then check into house in Winchcombe for 4 nights. During these 4 nights , is when I was trying to decide one or two day trips.

Then, we depart the Cotswolds, half our group will leave for 4 night stay in London, the other 3 of us, were hoping to see a bit more of England countryside. Since we would have spent 12 nights in the Cotswolds, I don't think we mind a really full 2 day trip. ( that is where I was hoping for all your assistance) we could drive back to London or drop car somewhere and train into London.

I will look into the suggestions, I appreciate them very much.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Ideas please.

I certainly wouldn't count Stratford as a day trip. Two hours max would suffice.

Reply to: Ideas please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted