We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

My husband and I leave for our first trip to England on Friday! We'll be staying at a cottage in Bibury from May 21 to 28 and are planning on spending a few of those days just driving around the pretty villages (yes, we will have a car), taking short easy walks, eating picnics and at pubs, etc. Here are the villages and towns I have on my map so far as places to visit. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any places I'm missing, especially "hidden gem" type places? I'd love to find out why you recommend a place as well, and if you have a pub or restaurant recommendation, even better. :-)

Chipping Campden

Broadway

Blockley

Moreton-in-marsh

Stow-on-the-Wold

Upper Slaughter

Lower Slaughter

Bourton-on-the-Water

Cheltenham

Burford

Swinbrook

Painswick

Cirencester

Bibury (where we're staying)

Malmesbury

Castle Combe

Thanks for your recommendations!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Castle Combe is beautiful

The parish churches at Cirencester and Fairford -- they are wool churches and like "shrunken cathedrals." Especially Fairford, which has a vast window with 15th century stained glass depicting scenes of hell. Unforgettable. Fairford also has very interesting gargoyles.

The church at Winchcombe has somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 gargoyles.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Hi

You are certainly going to be covering a lot of ground!

As you are going to be in the area, I would suggest a drive through Broad Campden (nr Chipping Campden) and also Buckland and Stanton (nr Broadway). The properties in each of these villages are lovely. You can take tea at Buckland Manor which is a real treat.

As for restaurant recommendations, we like the Old Butchers in Stow in the Wold - good fresh ingredients. For pubs, we enjoy the Crown & Trumpet in Broadway (older, straightforward pub) and The Swan in Broadway (recently tarted up).

Enjoy your travels!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

If you are heading from Bibury to Swinbrook, I'd also consider Shilton, Windrush, Little Barrington and Minster Lovell.

A beautiful route from Bibury to Bourton-on-the-Water is to follow the Coln Valley route through Ablington, Winson and Coln St Dennis.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

There's a lovely steam railway at Toddington.

I have happy memories of stumbling across a wonderful pub (in Ford?), selling virtually nothing but 'grass for lunch.

It was the height of the Asparagus season and they served it about 5 different ways.

Be sure and buy postcards of the places you visit, otherwise you'll end up with 200 photos of thatched cottages and not know where they are!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm particularly intrigued by the gargoyles, mainly just for my husband, who loves them. I've picked out most of the places on this trip, so I'm always glad to find things he will really get into so I don't feel so guilty for hogging the siteseeing. :-)

Yes, it's a lot of places, but many of them we will just briefly stop at, and others we probably won't end up going to at all, but would like to have the good spots on the map, so to speak, so if we're in the area we know where to go. I haven't planned anything in particular for any of the days, but rather planned lots of possibilities that we can just pick from and go with whatever mood strikes us each day. :-)

By the way, I'm so sorry for triple-posting this thread! I have no idea how that happened and feel really bad about it -- it's one of my pet peeves on some of the other lists and forums I frequent!

Zoe

South Louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Be sure to visit the Bibury Trout Farm, if it's still there. A very interesting place.

The Model Village in Bourton on the Water is lots of fun too. Bourton on the Water also has a very nice Christmas shop.

capecod, ma
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Hi...lol...I somehow posted a reply in one of the other duplicates of this thread, so, I'm just going to repeat myself in this one!!

I personally love the quaint medeival village of Stanton, which is about 5 miles from Broadway. Just walking the village itself is wonderful. There are no shops, but, there is a wonderful little pub up on the hill called The Mount. For walking you could do a stretch of The Cotswolds Way from within the town. Whenever in the Cotswolds, we have rented a cottage in Stanton and just love the peaceful, serene life.

www.cotswolds.info/places/stanton.shtml

Another village I have enjoyed visiting is Great Tew. Again...just a small, quaint, off-the-beaten-path type of place full of thatch cottages!!!

Have a wonderful time! The Cotswolds is one of my favorite areas to visit!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Thanks again everyone. I'm so excited. peterscot, thanks for the reminder to take note of what I'm taking pictures of! I have many vacations with tons of photos of mountains, which I thought I would surely remember the names of, but they all blend together now because I didn't write it down. :-)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

Zoe, a great way to keep notes about photos is to use a microcassette recorder. It can't be beat. It's really fun later to hear your immediate impressions of places, too.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
667 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any "hidden gem" places I'm missing in the Cotswolds?

you must go to the Fleece Inn at Bretforton which is owned by the National Trust, it was nearly destroyed by fire, but has been restored. They do food there & also serve real ales, on May 27th they have an asparagus auction there & the local silver band playing. If you get a chance do try the local asparagus it has a very short season & is delicious. Bretforton is midway between Evesham & Broadway.

If you want to see the real cotswolds stay away from Broadway & Bourton on the Water, they get very busy especially at the weekend & are really touristy, Bibury can also be very busy, but will be a nice base for you.

I lived near Bretforton for 20 years & in the cotswolds for a further 23.