We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairford RAF

Tucson, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Fairford RAF

We're planning a week in the Cotswolds with our family. Fairford looks lovely, but I wonder if it is noisy with lots of jet traffic from the RAF?

Gloucestershire UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairford RAF

Unless Bush does not plan on invading somewhere then you will not realise an airfield is nearby. Fairford is primarily a USAF base so you will probably meet some of your country persons there.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairford RAF

Hi there

A friend of ours lives close to the airfield (Kempsford)and the only planes that really make a racket are the KC-135 in flight refuelling tankers and the occasional AWACS that drop in from time to time. They are both based on the old Boeing 707's and were built donkeys years ago before the new generation of much quieter jet engines that all newer aircraft now have. I shouldn't worry about it, it's not like you'll be under the flightpath for Heathrow.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairford RAF

Take care to bear in mind that there is a HUGE airshow at Fairford during the weekend of 12 - 13 July. On those days there will be massive traffic volumes in the surrounding area - as well as noisy / fantastic aircraft giving the displays.

Tucson, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairford RAF

Thank you all for your helpful posts! We look forward to our visit in June!

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairford RAF

Hello, I moved to Fairford last November and there are only a few planes a day. They must be on some sort of manoeuvre as is always the same time....mid afternoon about 3pm I seem to notice one going round the area. Not intrusive at all.

One thing though that may make you smile is that every morning at 0730 and afternoon at 1630 they air base play the American national anthem followed by the National Anthem! Couldn't work out where it was coming from for a few days but then the penny dropped!! Seeing as we are a couple of miles from the base it is as clear as a bell....only lasts a few minutes so not a problem at all!

Hope you enjoy your visit to the Cotswolds.

6. Re: Fairford RAF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 03:16