We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

Hi Friends,

We will be attending a wedding in Henley-on-Thames in August. We have been to London but never to countryside. The Cotswolds would be most convenient to Henley, but so would other areas. Even though I have read webistes, guide books etc, I am mostly in the dark about where to go for that week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

SophiaNYC

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
43 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

If you can give some ideas of the kind of things you like to see and do while on vacation it will help us to make suggestions!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

We are a "senior" couple and we love beautiful villages and surroundings. We love walks in the country and long scenic drives. Even though we have to watch our money now, we need to stay in updated clean comfortable inns.

No specific activities but the beauty of the area is very important.

Thank you,

Sophia

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

hi there,are you planning on moving around or setting down in one place and going from there?

bourton on the water is a fantastic little place and fairly centrally located http://www.bourtoninfo.com/

another popular place to visit is stratford upon avon,with shopping parks,boat rides and shaakespear.both offer good accomodations,bourton is smaller,having an old english village feel with it's old buildings and little bridges criss crossing the streams and an interesting museum whereas stratford is a livlier town.you will find nice country lanes and villages all around here,and not to far away is the city of bath,famous for it's roman baths.

have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

Thank you for your kind reply. We have no problem moving around and Bath was one of the spots that I would love to vist (Jane Austin fan!!!!). Another, that I will have to leave to another trip I guess is the Northumberland Moors (Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre my favorite). I guess that we wiil stay in the Cotswolds and visit Bath and Stratford and Stonehenge.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SophiaNYC

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
43 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

Stonehenge is not in the Cotswolds and would be about a 1 1/2 drive from Bourton. Bath would probably be about the same distance. You might want to consider a night in Salisbury (a lovely little city and well worth a visit), from where you could easily visit Stonehenge. Then move on to Bath, again staying a night. Finally up in to the Cotswolds where you could base yourself in either Bourton or Stow on the Wold, visit all the lovely little villages in the area and also easily get to Stratford.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

Sonia

For an overview of touring routes in the Cotswolds take a look at the link below:

the-cotswolds.org/top/…index.html

For detail, see the links below:

www.visitcheltenham.com/Content.aspx?Urn=21

www.visitcheltenham.com/Content.aspx?Urn=22

To really get the most of your trip to the Cotswolds, leave time to get out of the car and do some walking - the views are amazing.

If you will be here in August, the Lavender fields in Snowshill, in the North Cotswolds near Broadway, will be a sight to see.

7. Re: Please help me plan a week in Cotswolds area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 21:20