We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

Hi we are booked to see A Midsummer Nights Dream in Stratford-upon-Avon so I am searching for a reasonably close town to stay in (for 3 nights) as we will be driving back at night after the play.I thought Stratford might be a little too far north to base ourselves.

We want to stay somewhere where there is character and atmosphere and can walk to a pub for the other 2 nights for dinner rather than be isolated a mile out of town.

I have been pouring over all the reviews; Badgers Hall at Chipping Camden and The Olive Branch in Broadway both have good reviews as does Broadlands Guest House in Bourton although Bourton does look a little too far away from Stratford.

Any thoughts on where to stay to get the most out of our Cotswold experience and be reasonably close to Stratford?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jane

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

Either Chipping Camden or Broadway would be what you're looking for. We stayed nearby with family and visited both. I think Chipping Camden has a bit more character to it, but Broadway is very atractive, too.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

Hi Jane

You'll be pleased with either town - both have a good variety of places to eat and drink. I think Campden has the edge in respect of places to eat with The Eight Bells, but I think Broadway has the edge in terms of it's upper highstreet, the independent shops and the local walks - best way to see the Cotswolds.

The Oliver Branch is supposed to be very nice and very clean and they are located in the upper high street.

Badgers Hall has a nice tearoom below, but I don't know much about the accommodation. Read the reviews for Campden area wisely - seems to be a myriad of one hit wonder posters for some of the smaller establishments over the last year or so...a real shame.

If you need any other info, feel free to pm me.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

both chipping & broadway have what you are looking for... i would say they are approx 25min drive from stratford.. they are a good base for visiting other cotswold villages ( you can visit most within 30min drive)... the choice may simply come down to the accomodation itself... olive branch is a 5min walk to the pubs& restuarants, havent stayed there, but seems to be getting good reviews(a good price for the cotswolds).... most places are overated and overpriced...the lygon arms in chipping could be noisey as it after all a pub ..depends on what time you go to bed!!

chipping and broadway are approx 2miles apart from each other..and both have beautifull high streets, each about a mile or so long... hope this helps a little.. enjoy

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

Hi Jane. If you're still looking for a place I can recommend Pinkhill Cottage in Standlake, 10 miles from Oxford and near Woodstock/Blenheim. There are 2 pubs nearby for meals.

We stayed there in 2004 for 3 nights and really liked it. It is actually 2 large rooms. Downstairs is its own private sitting room/TV room, with sofa, dining table and chairs. Very nice. And upstairs a spacious bedroom and bathroom. Very good price, then. It now has a Silver Award to go with its 4 stars, too. They don't have their own website, but if you google Pinkhill Cottage Standlake you'll find loads of sites where they're listed. For starters:

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/pinkhill.html

5. Re: Nice town to stay in near Stratford-upon-Avon please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:22