We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Please name the top 3 towns that you would say are must-see towns in the Cotswolds. I am especially interested in opinions from TOURISTS visiting that area. Why did you like these towns? What did you do/see in each?

Also, if someone had 2-3 nights to spend in the general area of the Cotswolds, what would you recommend they do/see? Which town would you recommend using as a base?

Thanks for any replies!

Malta
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Hiya. So for top 3 towns I would choose Stow on the Wold, Bourton on the Water and Burford. Stow on the Wold is a typical market town - very quaint with some interesting shops and several good eating places - a strolling and popping into quaint shops kind of place. Bourton on the Water is lovely as it has a river running through it the River Windrush) with small bridges running across. Very peaceful setting - interesting Bird Park (they had penguins and flamingos when we went a couple of years back). Burford is lovely in that it is a typical Cotswold town. Nothing much to do but fun if you appreciate old buildings and an old town setting. I would recommend staying at Bourton on the Water as a base. We never stayed there ourselves and have been to the Cotswolds several times but will seriously consider it next time round - reason being that it has a variety of eating places for dinner in the evening. Have a look at this website - I find it very helpful - www.the-cotswolds.org. Hope I was of some help.Enjoy!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Marzi, thank you for the wonderful website link! I just orderd some brochures through it and plan to return to that site and read everything on it.

As for your picks, they are towns I have seen mentioned before but your descriptions are very helpful. Someone else mentioned Bourton-on-the-Water as a place that was good to stay. And I saw mention of Stow-on-the-Wold once in a Fodor's Guide and so loved the name that we absolutely for sure HAVE to visit that town! I noticed there seems to be a good south to north run that would likely take in a lot of towns, although Bath is not on that route and I know it's a popular place to see.

I hope to find pleasant views of fields and low hills, farms, etc. Would we find the lovely views I hope for outside of/on the way to the towns you mention? Please add any particularly nice drives you can think of (The road numbers or towns linked by such scenic areas.

Thanks for your opinions!

Malta
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Glad to have been of help mlbcruiser. The towns and villages in the Cotswolds are all rather close and you will be using the A429 often - that in itself is a scenic road. Apart from the suggested town in my previous post I would recommend that you do not miss out on Bath. Another pretty town is Castle Combe - it is as if time stood still over there. Stratford upon Avon is worth a visit too. I checked out distances for you taking Bourton as a departure point - Bath is about 1 hr 15, Castle Combe around 1 hr and Stratford just under 1 hr. Should you need help with calulating times or checking routes I would recommend www.theaa.com - extremely helpful. Pop in a post or direct message if you need any other help.In the meantime enjoy planning your trip!

cheltenham
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Chipping Campden, Broadway and Cheltenham for a complete contrast with its beautiful Regency architechture and plenty going on.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Only stay in Bourton if you plan to hire a car otherwise you will be stuck there! Cheltenham is the only base to stay if you are relying on public transport!

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

I would use Cheltenham as a base and go to Chipping Campden, Stow on the Wold and The Slaughters (villages)

I would avoid Broadway & Bourton on the Water.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

We stayed in Bath for 2 nights and then Broadway for 2. Top villages for me: Castle Combe, Lower and Upper Slaughter. Is it real? That iw what we asked ourselves. Good luck.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Ah, Marzi - another good website, and thanks! I AM, in fact, having trouble estimating how long it will take to travel between points in England so far. While on one hand some of the distance look short, I repeatedly hear/read stories about heavy traffic and/or tieups making the drives lots longer (supposedly) than betweenb points on an Amerian map (?) At anhy rate, that calculation site sounds good.

For everyone who was kind enough to post, what was it about the town(s)you mentioned that you liked the most? I'm mostly into seeing the beauty and/or quaintness rather than doing much shopping (though I know once I see the shops that might change!).

Usually I like to plan well, but this time I can't seem to get the TIME I need to do it (due to a number of different things). So I'm getting a bit nervous and feel that I'm running out of time! Maybe this week will be better(?), though so far it's not shaping up that way. Also, if any of you have photos of some of the towns mentioned, please do not hesitate to post them!

Thanks again to you all! I appreciate the info!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Marzi, just wanted to let you know that I began receiving the brochures (actually, they are more like 8x10 booklets w/lots of into!) within just a couple of days of ordering them from the Cotswold site you gave me. I think I have about 5 of them now! Very handy and they have great descriptions and in some cases, photos of the various towns, along w/lists of accommodations, etc. Since my daughter and grandson were here from New Orleans, I really have only looked partway through the first two I rec'd. but plan to delve into them this wk. now that our company is gone. - And also planning to look at the aa site, etc.

So. . .to anyone else out there thinking of visiting the Cotswolds and surrounding areas, order a few of the brochures!

Malta
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your pick for the top 3 must-see towns in the Cotswolds?

Thank you for the info - I will definetely send for the brochures. I hope that all is well with your daughter and grandson and that you enjoy planning your holiday!