We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

NoVA
5 posts
Save Topic
What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

There have been a few "hidden gem" and "must see" posts that have left me with the feeling that everything is totally awesome in the Cotswolds. Which very well may be true!

Are there any things that are overrated or just not really worth "it" (where "it" = time, money, dodging hoards of people, etc)

It seems like the vast majority of the towns/villages/hamlets in the Cotswolds have been recommended for visiting or staying in. Which makes narrowing down what we will do/where we will stay difficult!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

It might be easier if you say where you are tempted to visit, and ask people whether these places are "worth it"?

Much of the Cotswolds is very pretty and attractive. There are very few places that are not worth visiting. Some are so pretty that they attract crowds, but these are easy to discover and avoid. And in any case, they may still be well worth visiting.

I don't think you will be disappointed wherever you choose, unless it's Swindon.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

IMO the answer is simple-everything and every where.

It is a very pretty area and pleasant enough to visit -but totally overrated compared to North Yorkshire, the Dales and the Peak District

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

Have to agree, all of the Cotswolds is over-rated.

If you are into the ground zero of "twee" and coach loads of ancient folk then it's the place for you.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

It has been my feeling that the main benefit of the Cotswolds is its ability to trap the hordes of tourists heading west from London who would otherwise inundate and ruin the lovelier areas of Herefordshire, parts of Worcestershire and the Welsh borders.

Having said that, I think the generalization in the two previous posts is too vast. Certainly most everything north of the A40 is overrated, with the possible exception of Winchcombe. But the area of the Cotswolds south of the A40 and west of Foss Way (A429) does not seem to get rated very highly and has much to offer.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

The fact that the area is both beautiful and popular hardly renders it overrated. Drive through, north and south, and stop in the areas that attract you for the scenery, architechture, whatever. And if you are able - hill walk. It's free and the hill views are stunning, especially the walks around Broadway and Snowshill.

There are no hordes of people but towns like Bourton on the Water and Stowe do get busy with the number of tourists they attract. Overall, the Cotswold area is huge, and there are plenty of smaller villages that you can call into that are off the beaten track - Coln, Stanton and Snowshill are just a few that come to mind.

It is, however, an expensive area - especially to eat. Very few places deliver value for money IMO.

Link attached for driving itineraries. Scroll halfway down and you'll see links for the Romantic Road - Road for today and Road for tomorrow covering the north and south of the region.

www.visitcheltenham.com/Content.aspx…

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

I was going to say the same as littlewillie and Alanrow, but I was too scared!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

Swindon is a much underrated town - and it's not in the Cotswolds (nor is Bath, whatever the tourist industry may claim).

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

Further to my earflier post-I would not wish to put anyone off visiting the Cotswolds. But I do think as an area it is incredibly overrated due primarily to geographic location on the London to South West route and clever early marketing-it was renowned as pretty before many more northern localities realised what they had to offer

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

24 hours later I'm still laughing at the "Ground zero of twee" comment!

Swindon has the magic roundabout. What could be more British? That is a cultural experience in itself.

Cotswolds UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's overrated in the Cotswolds?

I think you are all missing the point. If I want mountains I go to Scotland or Wales. If I want Moorland I would choose Yorkshire, the Peak District or Dartmoor. But for gentle rolling farmland with wooded valleys and chocolate box villages with loads of history the Cotswolds is hard to beat. Yes there are crowds in honeypot places but that applies equally to all the other locations I mentioned. Any one with moderate map skills can find rewarding off-the beaten track places. Timing is relevant too. Even the dreaded Bourton-on -the-Water is qiet in the evening when the "trippers" have gone.