We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my vacation be ruined if...

NoVA
5 posts
Save Topic
Will my vacation be ruined if...

I stayed in Chipping Campden?

We are looking at renting a cottage about 2mi outside of town or a place blocks from the High Street. (does it have a grocery store or general store for a few basic staples?)

Or would someplace more "central" and bigger like Cirencester be a better idea?

Essentially we are looking for a place that has things to do within 2mi or so (biking, hiking, a restaurant or two) and would not be too far to do a day trip to Bath. So, we don't want to be in the *absolute* middle of nowhere where we'd be forced to drive if we want to do something. Of course we will drive to other villages, etc. but we don't want that to be our only option. If that makes sense...

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my vacation be ruined if...

Hi

Chipping Campden is in the middle of the Cotswolds. You won't find a huge supermarket, but there are plenty of small shops and restaurants:

www.chippingcampden.co.uk/contentok.php?id=34

this site will give you an idea of what is available. You will find big supermarkets in Cirencester and Evesham but local shops ought to do for a short rental.

I guess it is a question of personal choice as to whether you stay out of town (in which case you might need a "designated driver" for those evening dinners) or would prefer a more rural setting.

In any event Chipping C is close to the usual "must sees" (which I think are usually Broadway, Stow on the Wold, Moreton in the Marsh and the Upper and Lower Slaughters). What time of year are you hoping to be there can be LOTS of tourists.

I suspect that there are several of us who could recommend a few Cotswold backwaters or an interesting route to Bath and back if you are used to European roads.

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my vacation be ruined if...

I agree with sueduncBATH but must say 1 thing...

it is Moreton-IN-marsh, there is no THE!!!!!

I live naer Cirencester and there are some lovely places to visit in the locality. As you said you would like to visit Bath you couls do a tour of that area, seeing Minchinhampton, Stroud and a visit to Westonbirt Arbotetum is lovely too.

3. Re: Will my vacation be ruined if...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 02:19