We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway

What is everyones thought of Broadway? I am considering using this as my "base" while in the Cotswolds.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway

It's very pretty and it's in a good location for use as a base.

I've never stayed there but I have walked into it off the Cotswold Way. I had tea, looked through a bookstore, and looked for small souvenirs. Another time I had a good meal at a hotel, but can't recall the name.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway

I've been to Broadway twice, and it left me cold. I certainly wasn't able to discern its charm.

To me it is on the northern edge of the Cotswolds. If it were me, I would find someplace more central. Of course, I like the southern Cotswolds, which are ignored by many tourists.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway

It is right at the western edge of the Cotswolds so heading out of the town towards Evesham you immediately exit the region. However if you are touring by car then Stanton, Stanway and Snowshill are very near, and the views from Broadway Tower on a clear day are superb. I would also consider Chipping Campden as a base, just a few miles north east of Broadway. This town has less tourist traffic but remains one of the most beautiful in the Cotswold area. Excellent wool church and 17th century market hall. Some good pubs, too.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway

how about Bibury? Chipping Camden is still an option.... i heard that it is more of a tourist-meca, however.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway

Bibury seems to be more crowded than Chipping Campden because it's smaller and all it takes is one solitary coach to crowd out the village. Arlington Row (the old weaver's cottages) and the gardens of the trout farm are worth visiting but the crowds are always evident in the peak hours of the day.

There are many visitors to Chipping Campden but the linear nature of the town and the undiscovered side streets and back lanes mean one can get away from large groups at any point during one's stay.

Evesham UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway

Broadway is vey pretty in a touristy kind of way and it does deserve a few hours of your time. However you could do much better looking at other places for a base for a longer stay as it is quite expensive and trades on its name. Look at Evesham as a good alternative. It is only 5 miles from Broadway and has easy access to The Cotswolds, Stratford Upon Avon, Cheltenham and Worcester (All about 15 miles). There is a very good train service to from London. Hotels worth considering include The Northwick on Waterside, The Riverside Hotel at The Parks or one of several very good bed and breakfast establishments, contact the Tourist Information Centre, The Almonry, Evesham who have complete lists for the area including the surrounding villages.

Evesham itself is a very old market town with loads of historical interest and some interesting architecture. The River Avon runs throught the centre of the town and offers lots of good walks and river trips and is less crowded than Stratford and Broadway. There are a good number of local eating places including Thiland cooking, Indian, Chinese, Italian,Bangladeshi and French cuisines as well as English.

Want to know more, e-mail me, I live there!

bbaldelli@rya-online.net

Allatsea

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway

Allatsea:

in your opinion, is Evesham as "quanit" as some of the other towns? would you recommend Evesham over Chipping Campden?

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadway

i mean quaint.

apparently i can't spell.

oops.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadway

I agree that Evesham has lots more personality than Broadway. I really like Evesham. It's not in the Cotswolds, though.

How long are you planning to be in the Cotswolds? Have I already suggested self-catering to you in another thread? Moat Farm? (I'm having a deja vu moment all over again!)

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadway

yes.... you have recommended Moat Farm. i think i am leaning towards the B&B route, maybe in Chipping Campden. (perhaps the Eight Bells Inn).

though nothing is for-sure yet.

oh and fy i will probably be in London 4 days, Bath 2 days, Stratford Upon Avon/Cotswolds 3-4 days.