We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive through Cotswolds

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drive through Cotswolds

Hello,

My parents are visiting me in Oxford and I'm renting a car (with natsav) to show them around UK. They want to visit Stonehenge and I thought I'd do that first and then drive through the Cotswolds so they can get a taste of quintessential English villages and scenery. If someone could suggest a good scenic drive with some stops along the way for a bit of a stroll (they are fairly fit, especially if it's flat ground), maybe through some parklands or next to a stream? I'd like to avoid the tourist traps because I find places swarming full of tourists detract the whole experience.

I'm also curious if it's possible to see Stratford upon-Avon along the way or will time be too pressed? I'd rather have a pleasant, relaxing day. They need to unwind after having been in London!

Thanks in advance.

MD

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

Avoid Stratford.

Type your post title into Google.

Streams go through Bourton on water, or try Burford, or the Slaughters,or Bibury; Blenheim has parkland as have many places.

Very easy not to follow a route and just meander and enjoy.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

I was in Bourton on Water last weekend, what a delightful village. ian480.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

There is a relatively flat walk between the Slaughters. Park at Upper Slaughter and walk down to Lower Slaughter. There are nice, albiet expensive, ice creams at the Mill in Lower Slaughter.

One possible route:

Bath,The Slaughters, Stow, Snowshill, Broadway (drive along both the lower and upper high street), Chipping Campden, then back on the A44 to Oxford.

Snowshill Arms in Snowshill is good if you want a decent pub lunch. The Eight Bells in Campden is also good, but expect to pay a bit more.

The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

I wouldn't recommend Stratford either, - I was there yesterday - too much traffic (mostly at a standstill) and the theatre is currently surrounded by scaffolding and a huge crane during it's major works. - certainly not the place to go if you'd rather have a "pleasant, relaxing day" !

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

Thanks for all the advice. I took the Romantic Road trip and did most of the Northern Cotswolds and the drive was so pleasant. Actually even the drive from Stonehenge to Cheltenham was lovely. I didn't like Cheltenham at all, it's just another big town, despite touting it as a Regency Spa town, there was no charm.

My favourite was Chipping Camden, so small and does not have any of the touristy vibe at all. Just a lovely long main street with gorgeous shops and all the houses are so beautiful. After Chipping, I'm afraid the other towns I visited in the Cotswolds paled in comparison, mainly due to their size and the amount of tourists. They lose that intimacy you feel with a place.

Overall great trip, and will be keen to explore the Southern Cotswolds at some stage.

Thanks again!

MD

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

Thanks for letting us know how you got on!

7. Re: Scenic drive through Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 18:18